Where to buy accessories???

Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:48 am

Hi lads,
New to the boating scene, and need to pick up some essentials, like life vests,ropes etc. Where is the cheapest place to go for these other than the afore mentioned Lidl, would I be better getting mail order from UK (like the rods & fishing gear). Or would a local place be better (on the East coast).

Thanks,

Johnnyf

Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:39 pm

if you find some where let me know!
i drove a round trip of 40miles to what i would have thought to be the biggest chandler in NI (mullan marine or what ever they call themselves these days) only to find of the three things i need they had 1 split pins to hold the prop on.

i despair! how do these places remain in business?

Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:27 pm

Sorry Ray, Looks like nobody buys equipment, would pass on the info of i new!!

Johnnyf

Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:22 am

Sorry Johnnyf, for what its worth, I buy the majority of my bits and pieces from Ebay stores. Too much hassle roaming around chandlers etc for little bits and bobs, might as well get them delivered to the door!

Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:03 pm

Thanks Peter,
Do you find it any cheaper to buy from the UK, or does postage cost as much??

Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:34 pm

Only ordering fairly small bits and bobs Johnny, nav lights, a new finder, a couple of fenders etc. From what I've seen price wise you would save a few quid alright. Obviously anchors, chain etc is a no no... :D

Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:20 pm

Am I the only one who finds it odd that every tackle dealer and chandler in the country isn't watching this site and emailing anyone who posts a wish list with a quote for whatever they asked for? Are these vendors not web savvy, aware of the existence of angling/boating web communities or just making way to much dosh to be bothered?

Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:31 pm

Funny you should say that Sandman because I know 2 tackle shops that until recently werent aware of the site for a start and when arguing about prices etc couldnt believe what was being quoted on ebay. A case in point, I sold my mag elite to a bloke who is a relation of a local tackle dealer and who also works there from time to time, apparently they couldnt buy them in for this fella at the price I sold it to him for (€100) Reel was used but you can pick up brand new, fully boxed etc for a sight cheaper than that online. :shock: Constant pressure in relation to prices does get me discounts all the same and I make no bones about telling them about the latest shiny toy I picked up online for a song. I know these guys have overheads but still, cash is a sight better off in my pocket than theirs. I think a lot of tackle dealers need to wake up in relation to pricing, there are a huge choice of suppliers out there for us at the click of a mouse. I know there is a campaign running to " support your local tackle shop " and in fairness they have a point, you couldnt possibly get advice about marks, tactics, tackle etc online could you.....could you..... :D

Some examples,

Hokkai rigs....max €1.00
Feathers....max 30c
Shrimp rigs...max 50c
Hooks/swivels/snaplinks etc 100s...approx €4/5 (I've been charged that for a small pack 7 or 8 or so of B940s)

I could go on but I'm sure you all know the story. All the same though, I love the tackle shops....aah the smell, the slagging, the craic, the playing around with all the latest new toys etc etc :D

boat stuff

Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:45 am

On the East coast you have western marine in Dalkey which are rather over priced to be fair and then there is marine parts direct in swords-Dublin. They are not too bad on price in comparrison but you will find stuff cheaper from the uk.

Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:14 am

Thanks lads, just looking for some ropes, Fenders, life jackets etc.may give a uk online a shout just to compare, and will probably buy individual bits local as needed. I normally get my fisging tackle from Veals Peter, but the examples you were quoting seems a lot cheaper, do you care to divulge your source, as I am often too busy to make rigs and end up buying them, I know they can be pricey.

Johnnyf

Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:41 am

Just a matter of keeping an eye on Ebay Johnny, and doing the dog on it by waiting till 10 seconds to go before bidding.... :D Ill take a look tonight and see if I can dig out some recent suppliers for you to keep an eye on.

Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:28 pm

hi jonny, deveeys in waterford are not bad,they have a good range of stuff,i have just bought a bruce anchor there €39.00 also heavy chain,rope a little expensive,i bought rope in universal providers in kilkenny 16 cent a meter for 10mm,also he gave me the full roll as he could not be bothered to count 150 meters,theres 187 meters on the roll,also marine parts direct,in swords,pretty good,bought fishfinder and gps from them,shop around,dezzer..............

Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:12 pm

Johnny

As Luke And Dezzler said Marine Parts in Swords are fairly good, they have a good website where you can compare their prices to UK shops (don't forget to count changing Euro to Sterling and of course postage), I was with them the other day and they had a good selection of life jackets which were very well priced (170 newton ones for €60).
You will find it hard if not impossible to get lifejackets posted from abroad, there's a ban on them by all the airlines (compressed gas and high altitude don't mix well).
Marine Parts can be found at http://www.marineparts.ie

Damien

Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:01 pm

Thanks a lot lads, and i didn't now about the Ljackets, will thry the above mentioned as we need a few bits.

JohnnyF