Impellor

Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:06 pm

Took boat out for a run the other day. Going great. Only thing is, the p!sser isn't spouting water. Was working well on the previous outing, good jet of water. Anyone know how to fix this, and what are the implications of the p!sser not p!ssing ? Is it an impellor problem or could it just be a blockage ?
Aside from this everything is grand. Also had a look at a Minn Kota Riptide 55 Saltwater electric engine for backup - looks like a great wee engine. Would be great for trolling big lakes too. Anyone have any opinions on these engines ? I use a 36lb thrust for pike trolling and it is top notch. I would imagine the Riptide to be of similar quality, but would like an second opinion before forking out the money.

Impellor

Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:17 pm

Could be the impellor. Could also be salt build up in the pisser pipe. Try running some light wire through to free blockage before checking anything else.

impellors

Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:07 am

Don't even think about running your engine if shes not sucking water. even a quick short srun and i mean a spurt can tear an old impellor to pieces in an instant. Been there done that and paid the price... As jim very rightly says, check for a blockage first. This is the most likely problem. If the engine is old it could well be the impellor. You will have to remove the leg casings. Many older motors have a spacer to convert from long shaft/short shaft. rmove the bolts here or in older models at where the prop and gear box meet the leg. You impellor and water pump will then be visible. To put a new impellor in you will have to remove the shaft and put it on from that end. This was the case with the motor i had to do the job on anyway. Not that big of a job providing the engine is not at the stage where all the bolts and screws are ringing. as long as the shaft is not stuck with salt corrosion you should be fine. :wink:

Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:23 am

connor if your pisser isnt working just go to the doctor and get it checked out. better safe than sorry. especially these days. ya never know what ya might have?? :lol:

oh and id advise against fiddling with it yourself and defo dont go sticking bits of wire in it you could cause permanent damage. :shock:

Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:51 am

Sounds linke the impeller for sure. As the lads mentioned.... do not run it at all. without water coming in and out for cooling your engine can overhead very quickly.

Luke hit the nail on the head regarding where it is and how to have a look at it. One thing to remember if you are not 100% sure about taking something apart and putting it back together is to take photos with a digital camera before you take a part off. Then in reverse you will have the right order for the parts to go back together. Make sure you have a few hours for your first time as well and get it all done in one evening. I have found that it is very difficult to remember where parts go the morning after. :oops:

The impeller is a fairly easy job if you are in any way technically minded.

Good luck,

Kev

Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:48 pm

Cheers lads. Will have a look on Saturday. Thanks especially to you Graeme - vital info !! Could have done myself a mischief without your words of wisdom !! :D

Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:12 am

i would definately try heavy line/thin wire up the hole first especially if the engine has been sat around for afew weeks the pressure out the pisser is so low that even a little bug will block it but do be careful about running an engine that is absolutely not pumping. even 30 secs without water will wreck an impeller but if the pumps bust any way.....

Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:37 pm

Conor,

If it is the impeller make sure you blow out any bits of the old impeller in the line before you replace it, as the bits will only cause a block.

Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:52 pm

If I open the engine and find out it's not the impellor, apart from having missed a blockage in the tube, what else could it be ? just might as well know and sort it out while engine is open, rather than opening again at a later date.

Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:15 pm

Conor,

Did you open up the lower unit and take the water pump apart?

Also normally there is some rubber tube (like fuel line) from the output nossle of the engine down to a spout (where is pisses out) The spout itself might be blocked or perhaps the output nossle from the engine rather than the line.

Kev

Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:44 pm

Ran some 100lb mono up the spout and cleared a blockage - everything working fine now ! Providing weather keeps up, we'll get a run out on Sunday - happy days ! :D

Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:02 pm

Good to hear you got it sorted and it was only a simple thing. Are you still going to lough Key,? what weekend is it?
Steve

Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:48 pm

Hi Steve,
Was going to Lough Key until I rang and found out the price for entry for 1 day was 60 euro. A bit steep for a day's fishing. Prizes are great though it's a 3 hour drive towing the boat, and the same home again. I'm going to head for either Carlingford Lough just for a bit of getting used to the boat, or a day's piking on Lough Muckno with the brother.

Worked on the boat all day today and yesterday doing wee bits and pieces, have her in great nick, added loads of wee bits and pieces to keep clutter out of the way while fishing (rod holders, tackle holders, built a frame for the fuel tank to stop it from sliding in the hold, and allow for 2 large tackle boxes). Attached a filleting board. Think I deserve a day out , rain or shine ! :D

Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:27 pm

Good stuff Conor, I'm glad it was something simple in the end.

Kev

Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:47 pm

Launched her on Muckno, everything working tickety-boo ! :D
Managed to land a 20lb Pike into the bargain - fell to a tiger patterned Rapala Super Shad - not sea fishing I know, but come the better weather I'll get her launched at sea. Just glad everything is working now for the start of the summer .

Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:50 pm

Good man Conor, good to hear you got the hull wet anyway.

Sea Angling

Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:16 am

Get thee to a fresh water forum!

Were the guys in the Anglers Fancys looking strangely as the Seahog passed at thirty Knots!

Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:06 am

For engine testing purposes etc, we usually launch our 18 footer in a little lough just outside Ballybofey. Its only about 6/700 yards long and always raises a few eyebrows from tourists and walkers when these two lads dressed to the hilt with lifejackets, float suits etc come hammering along.... :D Not as many though it has to be said as when I dropped the inflatable Kayak in there with a fly rod sticking up in the air at the back!

Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:38 pm

Civil Defence lads were out on the Lough in force in their ribs and 30hps. Were whizzing about like nobody's business. I opened the Hog out once or twice, just to show them who's the daddy !! :D :D :D

Got the Minn Kota Riptide 40 onto her. Have to say, for anyone thinking of buying a small back up, I'd seriously consider this as an option. Brand new at £299 (£2.50 delivery from Scotland). A great wee engine - runs off a leisure battery, no need to worry about running out of juice. If it's like my freshwater minn kota 36 , it'll be minimum maintenance. I fully recommend it.

Only downside I can think of is that is wish I'd bought the Minn Kota Riptide 55, but it was £300 more expensive for 15lb of thrust - not worth it I think when the 40 does what I need of her.

Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:36 am

Just browsing the forum: read in my new Merc 60hp handbook that they recommend that the impellor be changed every year. Anybody actually do this?