Sea gull issues

Discussion and advise about the purchase, care, maintenance and operation of boats

Moderators: JimC, jw

Sea gull issues

Postby Rob Millard » Mon May 30, 2016 4:38 pm

I know Sea gulls have come in for a lot of bad press recently, and I'm all about 'live and let live', but they really are grinding my gears lately. They've taken a particular shine to my boat this year, and they're perching on it and sh*ting all over it on it's mooring. When I'm out fishing, they take the opportunity to poo all over my tender. It's becoming a real pain. Does anyone have any ideas? I've seen plastic owls and the like, being used as deterrents. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Species 2019: Common Skate, Pollack, Whiting, Coalfish, Cod, Cuckoo Wrasse, Bull Huss, Lsd, Porbeagle Shark, Mackerel, Grey Gurnard, Thornback Ray, Plaice, Turbot, Ballan Wrasse, Dab, Smoothound, herring, haddock, Blonde Ray, Tope, bass

Species 2018 : Porbeagle Shark, Spurdog, Lsd, Coalfish, Pollack, Ling, Mackerel, Haddock, Red Gurnard, Turbot, Dab, Thornback ray, Homelyn Ray, John Dory, Pouting, Ballan Wrasse, Smoothound, Tope, Bass, Bull Huss, Weaver, Painted Ray, Bluefin Tuna

Species 2017 : Cod, Coalfish, Whiting, Poor Cod, Pollack, Bull Huss, Ling, Pouting, Bass, Flounder, Painted Ray, Lsd, Tope, Ballan Wrasse, Mackerel, Herring, Launce, Haddock, Thornback Ray, Conger, Plaice, Turbot, Grey Gurnard, Red Gurnard, Cuckoo Ray, Tub Gurnard, Dab, Smoothound, black goby, Scad, Cuckoo Wrasse, Megrim

Species 2016 : (32)

Species 2015 : (30)

Species 2014 : (29)

Species 2013 : (34)
Rob Millard
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 223 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Sea gull issues

Postby jonnymed1c » Mon May 30, 2016 8:43 pm

Friend of mine has a boat we were out on it yesterday, he was showing me a device he has fitted which emits a tone the gulls dont like and they stay away, few gulls started to follow us inshore and they got within about 20ft of boat and must have heard the tone and turned sharply and flew off. It works all the time so their not sitting on boat when its moored up either.
2016 Species: Thornback ray, Bass,Dogfish, Pollock, Coalie, Whiting, Cod, Flounder, Smooth hound, Sea trout, shore tope, shore Anglerfish, Scad, Mackeral,Ballan Wrasse,Goldsinny Wrasse, Tompot Blenny,Goby,Pouting,Poor cod.
jonnymed1c
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 12 times

Postby Rob Millard » Mon May 30, 2016 9:08 pm

Sounds like just the thing I need. Could you ask your mate what it is and where he got it?
Species 2019: Common Skate, Pollack, Whiting, Coalfish, Cod, Cuckoo Wrasse, Bull Huss, Lsd, Porbeagle Shark, Mackerel, Grey Gurnard, Thornback Ray, Plaice, Turbot, Ballan Wrasse, Dab, Smoothound, herring, haddock, Blonde Ray, Tope, bass

Species 2018 : Porbeagle Shark, Spurdog, Lsd, Coalfish, Pollack, Ling, Mackerel, Haddock, Red Gurnard, Turbot, Dab, Thornback ray, Homelyn Ray, John Dory, Pouting, Ballan Wrasse, Smoothound, Tope, Bass, Bull Huss, Weaver, Painted Ray, Bluefin Tuna

Species 2017 : Cod, Coalfish, Whiting, Poor Cod, Pollack, Bull Huss, Ling, Pouting, Bass, Flounder, Painted Ray, Lsd, Tope, Ballan Wrasse, Mackerel, Herring, Launce, Haddock, Thornback Ray, Conger, Plaice, Turbot, Grey Gurnard, Red Gurnard, Cuckoo Ray, Tub Gurnard, Dab, Smoothound, black goby, Scad, Cuckoo Wrasse, Megrim

Rob Millard
SAI Hammerhead

Postby ShaneH » Tue May 31, 2016 12:27 am

Sportscast Ireland

For this message the author ShaneH has received thanks:
Rob Millard (Tue May 31, 2016 8:37 am)
ShaneH
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 284 times

Postby ninted » Tue May 31, 2016 10:02 am

Ok I know it's not exactly what you're looking for, but it is relevant to the topic: if you have a lot of gulls near your boat when you're out fishing and they are becoming a pest, then you need to become... The dominant bird. This means that you flap your arms and square like a seagull, in the general direction of the gulls. It works every time (I got it from 'wicked tuna') and will keep them away for a while when you can do it again or sometimes they just go away altogether.

It's also most impressive to your passengers when they think your full of bs and then you make the gulls vanish!

I'll guard your boat for €55 per hour , Rob! Round the clock! ;-)))
ninted
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 29 times

Postby Rob Millard » Tue May 31, 2016 12:45 pm

Thanks ninted. I don't doubt that you would provide a stellar service, but until I win the lotto, your rates are beyond my means.

Rob Millard
SAI Hammerhead

Postby HoleDigger » Tue May 31, 2016 1:15 pm

The old fashioned way was to put a cat or sheepdog on board with some water and a litter tray. You wouldn't need to feed it as it would eat the birds and as a side effect you wouldn't have any rats either and keeps your boat safe from intruders.

However, feel fry to try any of the more modern deterrents suggested here: http://www.birdbusters.com/pigeon_contr ... boats.html
or
http://pestkill.org/birds/seagulls/
Good luck!

For this message the author HoleDigger has received thanks:
Rob Millard (Tue May 31, 2016 4:46 pm)
HoleDigger
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 8 times

Postby DimitriPayet » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:19 am

I've heard domestic pets are sometimes killed by gulls. Any cat is vulnerable to attack from above by this apex predator.
DimitriPayet

Postby kieran » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:11 pm

you can buy a kite shaped like a hawk that you attach to any structure as a bird scarer. any decent wind its up and moving around. No electrics. Worth a try?
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby JOHN1 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:10 pm

You will get a plastic owl from the Chinese shop beside the chipper beside you. If he disent have one in he will get one for you about 15 or 20 euro has to be worth a try. Wouldn't fancy getting botulism or some othwr disease from the shite they are leaving around! A lot to be said for keeping your boat on a trailer.
Species Target (1) Anything will be a Bonus.

BALLYBRACK SAC.
EFSA.
SouthShore SAC.
JOHN1
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 598 times

Postby Rob Millard » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:05 pm

My friends in Donegal have a plastic owl on 'Misty Dawn', it seems to work. I have my boat festooned with ropes hanging from the pulpit rail, across to a landing net, a deck brush and a boat hook all sticking out of rod holders, it keeps them away.

Rob Millard
SAI Hammerhead

Return to Boat Maintenance, Equipment & Tips