How to replace an impeller vid

Discussion and advise about the purchase, care, maintenance and operation of boats

Moderators: JimC, jw

How to replace an impeller vid

Postby mann » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:05 pm

If I was asked once I was asked a dozen times about either how to replace an impeller.. Or could I do it for them,

By the time I have explained how to do it I could have done it already, I did this video to save me time and hopefully show others how easy it is,

The 15 HP impeller was just over 3 years old before it totally failed, the 5 HP impeller was over 5 years old and only one blade broke off, the 5 was working fine but after seeing the condition of the 15 Lucky for me I decided to change both,

This was the third time I had to take the leg off the 15, first time I put it back together I found I had forgot to put the sleeve back on the drive shaft,

I have 3 more outboards that have impellers in for more than 3 years, after seeing the condition of the 15 you can be sure they are next to be done,

I personally will inspect them every year and replace every 3 years,

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eielvaGVitA

For this message the author mann has received thanks: 4
JimC (Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:18 pm), JOHN1 (Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:17 pm), Stan (Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:30 pm), Tanglerat (Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:21 pm)
mann
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 41 times

Re: How to replace an impeller vid

Postby hugo » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:49 am

My 2006 Honda 50 4-stroke still has the original impeller in it and is pissing happily like the first day it started up. Once a week every week I run it for half an hour in a barrell if it hasnt been out on the water, that way the impeller blades dont dry out and get stuck for a long period in the same position. I was told a long time ago by a boat mechanic that the damage happens when a dry stiffened impeller starts whirring after a layup, and the advice has worked for me so far.
That said, I know I wont get away with it much longer, so thanks for the video ... :D

For this message the author hugo has received thanks:
mann (Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:38 am)
hugo
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 183 times

Postby mann » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:36 am

Hi Hugo

For a while there I thought the link wasn’t working, I totally agree with you on the mater of keeping rubber active and I will bear that in mind during the lay up months,

I was told some time back that car and trailer tyres go much the same way when left idle for long periods, Much like myself… they loose the elasticity, become hard, crack and fail.

Life was so much easier when I just had the little inflatable and old 3 HP Johnson, But yes I will do as you say… that is to keep them working on a regular basis in the hope that it keeps them fresh,

Thank you for the tip Hugo
mann
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby ste c » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:33 pm

Great vid only changed mine recently was fooked
ste c
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 323 times

Postby mann » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:40 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers Ste c

It might help someone out in the future.
mann
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby just add water » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:26 am

I'm planning on changing my impeller and doing an oil change pretty soon. This video should be very useful to me. Thanks for posting.
Cheers Andrew
just add water
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 7 times

Postby mann » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:25 pm

just add water wrote:I'm planning on changing my impeller and doing an oil change pretty soon. This video should be very useful to me. Thanks for posting.

Hi J A W

Thanks for the reply,
Its a straight forward job, I would say the only thing to watch out for is to make sure you get the water intake pipe into its slot on the top of the impeller housing,I forgot to explain that in the vid, I found that in some cases the pipe can lean to the side and needs a little bit of fiddling to line it up... so if you meet any resistance that might feel and sound dull it may be that the pipe is hitting the rubber on the housing,

if this happens to u let me know and I will let u know how I got around it with hot glue and fishing line :wink:
mann
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby just add water » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:30 pm

All sorted today. I got caught out by a hidden nut. I little fiddly to put back together but got there. Although I think I would have gotten another couple of years out of the impeller. It's in since new 2006 and looked just as good as the new one. Changed it anyway, and engine, gear oil.
Had to get a new voltage regulator also. Mine burnt out a couple of years ago. I had thought my son was leaving lights on when he was playing on the boat over the winter. I eventually figured out it was the regulator this year. I remembered that a battery had burst a pole. At the time I didn't realise it was down to the voltage regulator.
Anyway all ready now for a test run.
I might even get a bit of fishing done.

Thanks again.

Andrew Dowling.
Cheers Andrew
just add water
SAI Bait Ball

Postby mann » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:13 pm

Hi Andrew

Good to hear your ready to rock. I'm sure it would be of interest to others to know what engine you were working on and possibly a picture of where the hidden bolt is,

I know there are a few outboards that have hidden bolts, we took apart one years ago that had a hidden bolt on the forward side above the separation point, it was hidden by a rubber bung.
mann
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby just add water » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:59 pm

Hi Mann.
There was a bolt behind an anode above the propeller.
It's a Mercury 60hp 4 stroke.
Cheers Andrew
just add water
SAI Bait Ball

Return to Boat Maintenance, Equipment & Tips