310 Dinghy

Discussion and advise about the purchase, care, maintenance and operation of boats

Moderators: JimC, jw

310 Dinghy

Postby Buddner » Sat May 09, 2015 6:19 pm

Gents, I'm thinking of getting a small dinghy (around the 310 size) for a bit of fun during the summer months for mainly plugging for Bass. I've never owned a boat of any description so i'm looking for advise like motor size , web sight that sell all the bits and pieces that i might need. Thanks in advance
Buddner
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 12 times

Re: 310 Dinghy

Postby hush1 » Sun May 10, 2015 8:42 am

Buy a kayak!
hush1
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 19 times

Re: 310 Dinghy

Postby Bob » Sun May 10, 2015 10:20 am

I recently scaled down in size to a boat I could trailer easily and launch myself. I looked at small boats (in and around 3 meters) and decided to go slightly bigger.

I found that a dingy was too limited and not that much cheaper. It would be trailered anyway so that was no big deal. I looked at the whaly range and found them to be good but decided to go with a second hand option that came up instead.

Ranges I looked at included whaly, newmatic and terhi. The terhi range are exceptionally well built and designed. Flood marine do the full range.

Engine wise this is where I'd spend the money. I've had unreliable old engines in the past and they are not nice to have. Especially if your considering oars as your backup. Too many situations arise inshore when you need an engine to start straight away, around rocks,reefs, headlands etc. hp will depend entirely on your hull type and the speed you ultimately want to achieve. Four stroke engines were a revelation for me after running two strokes. That said there's nothing wrong with a good two stroke.

Finally, I don't know where your based but most local chandlers will have what you need.

Best of luck with it all.

For this message the author Bob has received thanks:
Buddner (Wed May 13, 2015 11:30 am)
Bob
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 15 times

Return to Boat Maintenance, Equipment & Tips