Steering Hydraulics

Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:25 am

Hi All,
the steering wheel on my boat won't budge - was working fine one minute, then just froze then next. I didn't want to force it so left it as is. Engine is running fine, everything else is grand, just can't get the bleedin' steering wheel to turn !! :evil: :evil: Anyone any ideas ?

Someone at the lake suggested checking out the steering hydraulics - that's double dutch to me and I don't intend messing about with it myself !! Anyone know of anyone up north who could have a look at it for me ?

steering

Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:13 am

I presume this is a boat with an outboard we are talking about? Steering is pretty simple. I ve changed them a couple of times. I would say the biggest culprit is not your steering itself but the cable caught in the shaft that connects to the engine. this is usually from sea water and salt. try turning the engine by pushing and pulling on the engine itself rather than the steering wheel. apply grease and f that does'nt work give a blow torch a go. that will definately free it as the metal expands. This should not be needed though. Just try some WD40 and vaseline. if you try to force the steering wheel you will damage the cable or the cog in the steering console itself. this really is a simple issue and not worth throwing money at!

Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:06 am

Nice one. Got similar advice from Brian E. Will give it a try and see how I get on. Just happened all of a sudden. Was working one minute - jammed solid the next. Strange. Thanks again.

Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:10 pm

for some daft reason the inners are mild steel so any sea water getting in is really bad news. if you disconnect the push/pull rod from the engine and put some rope though the bolt hole pull on the rope while some one turns the wheel. once it extends smother it with vaseline and GENTLY tap it back in while someone turns the wheel repeat this until it works as it should.

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:25 pm

Finally got an opportunity to fix this. The push pull rod had seized in the barrell, managed to "Gently Tap" (that's a lie - my brother's father-in-law bate the bejaysus out of it with a hammer , while I looked on in horror). Still, it worked. After a few "gentle taps" it moved out of the barrell and we coated it with a full tub of vaseline. Attached everything up again and she works a treat now ! Will be doing this on a regular basis from now on I think.

Cheers all for you advice. Looking forward to getting her in the water soon.