questions about engines

Discussion and advise about the purchase, care, maintenance and operation of boats

Moderators: JimC, jw

questions about engines

Postby Jurgen » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:15 am

Hey Guys,

Just bought a 2,9mtr zodiac/dinghy for some fishing with my buddy.
now the rowing is grand for now however we need a engine ASAP.

First question, does anyone have any engine for sale (nothing too fancy or too big)

Second question, did anyone ever use one of those electric ones? do they work in the sea as well? I will be fishing of the Cork coast and in Cork harbor(not open sea business here ;) )

Third Question, if I get a normal engine how can I transport it? I got the boat on top on the Landrover freelander, I guess that if I throw the engine in the boot it will leak everyone and maybe even damage the engine by flooding it.

I just need the engine for a bit of fun fishing and I drop now and than some lobster pots and nets nothing professional ;)

Thanks in advance for your help guys!
Jurgen
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 1 time

Re: questions about engines

Postby MAC » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:52 am

Hi Jurgen,

Be careful in Cork as the tides can run hard in the Harbour in some places. For that size Zodiac, try get yourself a 10hp ot 15Hp 2 stroke engine. 2 strokes are lighter, but are heavier on fuel. They can be stored in the boot without damage. To avoid fuel smells, just make sure you disconnect the fuel line and run the engine until it cuts out to enpty the carbs after each run.

Kevin
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Return to Boat Maintenance, Equipment & Tips