New Engine

Discussion and advise about the purchase, care, maintenance and operation of boats

Moderators: JimC, jw

New Engine

Postby Murchu » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:05 am

Hi all im hoping to buy a new suzuki df 90 for my taskforce q18 in next minth or so but just few questions hopin somebody could answer my boat transom height is 22.5 inches will a long shaft be suitable??? How much does an avarage service cost compared to a 2stroke.?? Has anybody any views on these engines thanks again and happy new year
Murchu
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 1 time

Re: New Engine

Postby JimC » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:20 pm

Sounds like it will be fine. There probably is an XL shaft but it is rare to see them in use.
I have a F100 Mariner myself.
I have put many hours up on Suzukis as the Bellavista fleet have a couple. Not sure if they are DF's, they are not the current model. There seems to be a lot of new "older model" Suzukis around.
From what I have experienced they are a fine engine. Good grunt and being EFI they are very responsive. They are good enough on fuel, i would reckon they is not much between them and the Mariner but of course it depends on the man with the hand on the throttle :) they will achieve around 1NM per 1ltr of fuel on a Warrior 175.
I know that to get the engine serviced by one of the Suzuki Dealers here in Cork was expensive (300-400). I am sure that there are more competitive people out there. After the first service the interval should be around 100hrs. That's probably once a year for most guys. You'll find that plugs are not replaced as often. Something says to me that Suzuki have a short impeller change interval but I'm not 100% on that one.

From what I gather they are reasonably trouble free. BV have not had any trouble from any of theirs. There was a known issue with flywheel bolts shearing at one time.
I know that "Screaming Reels" on here operates a pair of 80's on his craft. He traded a couple of years back and went for Suzuki again.
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby dezzer » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:06 pm

I would go for Suzuki or Honda if I was buying again,think the model your thinking of getting comes in 20 inch and 25 inch leg,give Paul at cork marine a buzz,he is very helpfully with all questions...
dezzer
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 39 times

Postby Murchu » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:57 pm

yes the engine does come in 20" and 25" i am presuming the 20" will be fine for my transom height... im thinking of buying it from oysterhaven marine in cork and have never dealt with them before anybody buy from them before??there is a suzuki dealer ilocally but would rather bring it to somewhere else just as not too confident on work quality and on his advice that a 30 hp would be perfect for my boat(second hand 30 right behind him as he spoke...)what sort of speed are you getting from warrior 175 with 90hp jim
Murchu
SAI Bait Ball

Postby JOHN1 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:30 pm

There a couple more things you might not have considered, the age of the boat could have an effect on what type / size of engine you want to put on her, as far as i know thats a fairly old type of boat is it plated/rated for hp? probably 60 to 90 hp. if its an old boat that rating would have been based most likley on a two stroke engine because thats what was around when it was made, 4 strokes are a fairly new thing when it comes to boat engines they are also a fair bit heavier than the same equivelent in a 2 stroke. Something you have to take into account when making a purchace is will your transom be strong enough to support a heavier newer 4 stroke will you have to get it strengthened or should you look at a lighter slightly dearer to run and cheaper to service 2 stroke :wink:
Species Target (1) Anything will be a Bonus.

BALLYBRACK SAC.
EFSA.
SouthShore SAC.
JOHN1
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 598 times

Postby JimC » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:42 pm

Murchu wrote:yes the engine does come in 20" and 25" i am presuming the 20" will be fine for my transom height... im thinking of buying it from oysterhaven marine in cork and have never dealt with them before anybody buy from them before??there is a suzuki dealer ilocally but would rather bring it to somewhere else just as not too confident on work quality and on his advice that a 30 hp would be perfect for my boat(second hand 30 right behind him as he spoke...)what sort of speed are you getting from warrior 175 with 90hp jim

I would think you are dealing with Marine motors rather than Oysterhaven....small detail, they are under the same roof, different companies I guess. They are in the business many years. They are/were mariner dealers too. I don't use them myself though. I use Maurice Cott based in Midleton.

In the best of conditions 32knts. Cruising 20 odd.
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby jw » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:51 am

i have a df100, its very simple and cheap if you service it yourself
Attachments
Selection_001.png
Selection_001.png (40.33 KiB) Viewed 2345 times
jw
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 83 times

Postby Murchu » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:44 am

Weight wise john i should be fine i looked at that issue before i took boat out of water the old engine was 128kg plus vro unit which is prob 5kg so 133kg give or take im a 120kg prop when i stood on transom with nobody else in water the boat dropped less than an inch... the df 90 weighs in region of155kg so not much heavier.. the 60hp suzuki weighs 104kg!!! I dont think my boat will hit 32knt jim c its a heavy boat but anywhere in top 20s be great... servicing by myself jw would be great after the 100 mark maybe once it doesnt interfere with 5 year warranty??thanks for all info guys

For this message the author Murchu has received thanks:
JOHN1 (Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:41 am)
Murchu
SAI Bait Ball

Postby dezzer » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:48 am

First service has to be done by Suzuki agent,then a reputable agent or mechanic to keep warranty ,Eddie....
dezzer
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 39 times

Postby Stan » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:15 am

I upgraded my 80 HP Mercury engine last year to a 100HP. Having checked prices in Dublin I then tried Cork. Oysterhaven came in with a much cheaper price :D :D :D . As far as I can see Mick from Oysterhaven sells the engine but Marine motors do the servicing. They have a symbiotic relationship. I have used Marine Motors to service my engines before and they are excellent. If you buy a Suzuki ( or most other engines) they must be serviced by one of their dealers to keep their guarantee.

I had my last engine since 2007 but it had low hours on it due to a number of bad summers. This summer the new engine did more hours than the previous 7 years.

My first service was €300...a little expensive but I know that it has been done properly. When I am miles out at sea I need to know that my engine will not let me down.

For this message the author Stan has received thanks:
razor2 (Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:42 am)
Stan
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 277 times

Return to Boat Maintenance, Equipment & Tips