25hp

Discussion and advise about the purchase, care, maintenance and operation of boats

Moderators: JimC, jw

25hp

Postby marty » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:21 pm

What's the most reliable 25hp engine guys and do I buy new or used???
marty
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 3 times

Re: 25hp

Postby JimC » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:27 pm

New or used depends on your budget - if you can afford to, buy new.
Is your preference for two or four stroke?

There is a wide variety of choice. The big brands are all fairly reliable....you would not hear much about grief in that size. Don't discount the "lesser" brands like Tohatsu. Suzuki have a first in their new 20hp (Smallest fuel injected) no 25 though. Mariner/Merc, Yam, Etech, Honda - I'd look at dealers close to me and I would do a pricing exercise.
There are also a few new Chinese makes on the market. Not heard much about them either way.

Depending on your application,watch your weights on 25's as some are quite a deal heavier than 20's (if you need portability). Whereas most 20's are at the top of the HP range for that engine the 25's are usually at the bottom hp for that range of engines (If you get my drift - most 25 are 3cyl rather than 2)
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby Tanglerat » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:42 pm

Something else to consider - the gangs roaming the country stealing outboards to order for export seem to have a preference for 4 stroke over 2 stroke engines.
Tanglerat

Have thanks: 381 times

Postby marty » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:07 am

4 stroke probably first choice,a local dealer has a tohatsu,Yamaha and a Suzuki all used,prices ok and a guy who deals in new Hondas.Hard to choose but if I can hold out I might go for a new one with the five year warranty??
marty
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby hugo » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:26 pm

Always been a Honda 4-st fan myself - they're gutsy, tough, bombproof, and just power away trouble-free over the years (provided you service them, of course...). That said, I'd echo JimC and say the other big names have just about caught up, and its often just down to the best deal.
hugo
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 183 times

Postby the weasel » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:19 pm

If i were in the market for buying a new engine it would have to be Yamaha 4 Stroke,not only are they reliable they are easy to maintaine,the navy have being using Yamaha engines for the last 20 years and never a bother with them,they changed over to all 40,70 AND 90 4 Stroke engines after they cut all the 2 Strokes in half rather than give them to the lads who would have made great use of them as they all had a full service history complete with log book as to what work had being done on them,there now RANT over.

John Ainsworth
John Ainsworth.

Give a man a fish and you feed him
Teach a man to fish and he,ll be late for dinner.

2013 Species Conger,Codling,Coalie,3 B Rockling,Bullhuss,Whitting,Pollack,Flounder.
2014 Species
2015 Species.
the weasel
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 84 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Return to Boat Maintenance, Equipment & Tips