E-Tec engines

Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:37 pm

Just investigating engine alternatives at the moment, probably a 75hp, the Evinrude E-Tec sounds pretty good anyone any for or against's as to this type of engine rather than a four stroke, like the fact of no running in, no servicing for 3 years and being fairly lightweight.
Thanks Sean,

Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:17 pm

These engines seem to be getting good reports, i think if i had one id still change the gear oil annually, the first ones should be going back for there first service now so nows a good time to make inquiries
cheers steve

Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:38 pm

Found some good info on this site [url]http://fishing_boats.tripod.com/outboard.htm[/url]
Sean,

E Tec Engine

Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:19 am

Hi Sean

My pal in scotland has an E tec he says its the best think he is on his hols just now i will get him to put up a post about it for you.

Angus

Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:26 pm

Hi Sean

i've had one of these for just over a year and would happily recommend them.

the service interval of 3 years is ok as they are over manufactured to allow the tolerance. the oil change is not required as its a high performance grade.

the power is excellent and the 2 stroke oil use very low.

best of all, the fuel consumption is fantastic. every bit as good as a 4 stroke. it runs quiet, no smoke and starts 1st turn of the key every time.

2 points of caution.

they will not start with the pull cord easily as advertised.
make sure the battery is large enough to power the start and electronics. personally i would use 2 batteries.

the 2 stroke oil comes in 2 different grades. one for low temps. if using the normal oil best to let the engine heat up then the oil will warm along with it. the viscosity changes in cold weather making it flow slowly. the sensor thinks there is a shortage and drops the revs to protect the engine. once warm this is not a problem and only happens in sub zero.

otherwise cracking engine.

Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:44 pm

Many thanks for all your help, petty sure it will be the e-tech i'm going for now,
Cheers, Sean

Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:10 pm

I drove twin 90s on a test RIB recently and was quite impressed.

If you are doing serious hours like say us in a Powerboat School then I would stick to 4 stroke for economy !

Kind regards,

Stuart

E-Tech

Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:01 pm

Hi Sean ,
If you read a thread i posted on the boat section of World Sea Fishing titled Suzuki v Mercury theres a guy by the name of MerseyAngler who has quite an interesting view on the E tech . Not trying to put you off but when your spending that sort of money you tend to want to read as much as possible or maybe thats just me going OTT again :P

Cheers Andy

Re: E-Tech

Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:22 pm

andydee wrote:Hi Sean ,
If you read a thread i posted on the boat section of World Sea Fishing titled Suzuki v Mercury theres a guy by the name of MerseyAngler who has quite an interesting view on the E tech . Not trying to put you off but when your spending that sort of money you tend to want to read as much as possible or maybe thats just me going OTT again :P

Cheers Andy

Thanks for that Andy, surprise surprise i've been keeping an eye on that thread! I'm not really swayed when he says 'I don’t like the idea of an engine that has to be on a power stroke every 360 degrees'. Sticking with the e tech route i think, Suzuki 4s would be my next choice though.
Cheers Sean,