Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:17 pm

Pete, I hope you aren't gonna hog all of Pat's marks ! :D I'll be getting them into the GPS first chance I get ! Would be good to get a few boats out off the forum if we had the opportunity, maybe get a wee compo going sometime ??

Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:33 pm

Our boat going back into the water end April/May time so I'd be up for that.(Hopefully with chief crewman Tanglerat).

space for 1 more also-It would be good to do something like that with small boats from the forum.

Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:03 pm

Gonna have to talk very nicely to Pat at some stage and get his info! Maybe book a trip and sit on his shoulder all day writing sneaky notes! A small boat forum comp sounds like a good laugh alright, make that a plan. Safety in numbers after all.

I know I should have prob shopped around a bit more but I got a bit excited on ebay! It was what we were looking for, something safe and stable that would hold myself and my buddy in a bit of comfort with a bit of poke in it. Will see how we get on at the weekend.

Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:14 pm

We know some of the marks Pat would fish. Have GPS nos for a wreck a few miles off Horn Head.-theres even a wee buoy Pat put on it to anchor up to but if you dont know the nos it would be impossible to find. Good pollack early in the season all round Horn Head,
I can get info from the local crab guys there on patches of sand on rough ground and the like.
Apparently anytime of the year its possible to get porbeagle close to Horn Head but no one ever fishes for them!!-thats on the programe for us this year.

roll on may.

Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:30 pm

I know that wreck and it is indeed a VERY little buoy he has on it alright!! GPS numbers would be very welcome, ill be in touch in a couple of months no doubt. Any info welcome, last boat I had was a little fletcher speedboat, we didnt do too much fishing or venture far for that matter in her at all so all advice welcome. Gonna spend a month or two getting used to the equipment, handling etc before ill be venturing anywhere much to be honest. The Swilly is perfect for that being as sheltered as it is (Most of the time!) Heard very good reviews about the alaska 500 but the proof is in the proverbials after all.

Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:16 am

Pete,

Sorry about not getting back to you sooner but I was tied up for the last couple of days.
First things first, good luck with your purchase and I hope you get as good, if not better a deal than we did. Hope you have many happy hours fishing in her also.
The Alaska 500 is a good boat, plenty of free deck space for all your fishing gear and will fish 3 in comfort. There are a number of them here on the East coast and this to me is a good sign as boats sell on word of mouth among the fishing groups. We have a 60 HP 'rude' bolted onto our stern with a 4.5 HP backup which gives a good turn of speed and is plenty of power for what we do. The only thing I would say to you is always carry 2 full tanks of fuel starting off as 2 strokes can be a bit thirsty and you would not want to be caught out adrift with your new baby.
I know I could not wait to get our boat into the water and after arriving home on the Sunday morning ferry it was a quick shower, a bite to eat and then straight down to Howth Harbour for a couple of hours sea trials.

Cheers & Good Luck Again
Damien

Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:29 am

Cheers Damien, will bear that in mind alright. New boat and a night out in Liverpool to boot :D . Well it would be rude not to......!

Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:22 pm

good luck pete. enjoy to the max hope you have many happy trips on her. geomac

Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:14 pm

Now there's a funny thing.........

I was driving past Pat's house today and glanced up for a look at The Cricket, wintering at the side of his house. Lo and behold, there she is but with a small white craft beside her. Looked a bit like a whale with her calf.... :D

Only got a quick look, but looked a lot like a SeaHog. Wonder if Pat'll be joining us in the small boats flotilla? :D :D :D

Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:39 pm

He hasnt just downsized his operation for the winter months???? :D

You know what they say, if ya cant beat em.......

Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:07 pm

Pete,
You gonna bring her to the Marina? Seem to be getting quite a few boats in the Swilly now - perhaps the time approaching for a little boat club/angling club - arrange some group outings?
i had more battery plunder and definitly hoping to get too the Laurentic next week weather permitting - I am dying to wet a line!
PB

Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:46 pm

Wont be leaving her moored in the water, she will spend time not in use outside a buddys house in Ballybofey which is a bit of a pain when it comes to nipping out on her but I would rather have that than have people robbing bits off her etc. We usually launched from the pier at Buncrana, can you tell me if this is still allowed or not. Last time out there were signs up about slip belonging to ferry company or something. Forgive my ignorance but is there a decent slip at fahan? I presume there is, and if so is it suitable for launching from at any state of the tide?

There seems to be a few lads about alright, start off with an outing or two or a low key competition and see how that takes off I suppose. What have you got yourself? I believe the fishing over Laurentic is decent enough in the winter, be a touch on the cold side though!

Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:47 pm

Hi Pete,
The slip at Buncrana is fine to use though during summer when the ferry running they can be a bit fussy about it. We actually used the slip today to Launch B0galoo's fine craft into its new home in the swilly. The slip was very slippy though with a lot of green slime - luckily was being launched using a good strong landrover.
There is a little slip down by the marina but only really got 2 hours either side of high water - Buncrana better.
If you had a bit of time off boats can be kept in the marina for a week or two as well - its well handy.
Good luck with the new boat anyway and if your about the swilly and want any marks let me know.
Cheers
Paul

Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:23 pm

I have vivid memories of an incident last year when we were launching our Fletcher with an Opel Vectra, after much sliding around and certain points where we were nearly on the point of jumping out of the car, I had to hitch my Passat to the Vectra to the boat to get the hell back out of there!! All whilst being watched by an enthusiastic and enthralled bunch of holidaymakers :oops: . Have a 4x4 this year so hopefully that wont be a problem. Ill definitely be in touch ref marks though, have fished the Swilly on many occasions to varying degrees of success dependent on the time of year etc. Its a great spot for hoofing around being as sheltered as it is with numerous places you could run for cover should it so require. Whats the deal cost wise with mooring a boat at Fahan?

Well wearing with the boat Andy, will see you down there at some stage I'm sure. Clarion isnt it?

Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:35 pm

Get in touch whenever Pete. Marina costs vary, per day, per week per month or annual. Speak to Nancy at the marina and she'll keep you right. Fir the sdheer handiness and speed of getting fishing its worth it - during summer there are quite a few 15-16 ft fishing boats in there - I would say for the 4 summer months probably looking at around 500 euro maybe a bit less but as I say thats only a guess you'd have to check to be sure.
Cheers for now.
Paul

Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:38 pm

Hi Pete

Yes boat is Clarion , we had a few hairy moments today launching her.
I thought at one stage the landrover was in as well, was being dragged down the slip by weight of boat. all four wheels locked... managed to get her under control by wheel spining until she got grip again.

Many thanks to Paul and Lee for all their help today .... cheers guys

Andy

Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:49 pm

Fun isnt it!! Nothing like the smell of burning clutches and rubber is there... At least there wouldnt be too many tourists about. Always worse too when you're a local, in the pub that night and twice had people come up and ask "was it you???" :oops:

Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:59 am

Incidentally, should I have any problems or should I require any parts or servicing of the engine (Volvo Penta 50hp) Is there anyone in or around the north that caters for them?

Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:17 am

Yep... Robert Craigs, Great Georges Street ,Belfast

Tad on the expensive side, I bought 2 oil filters, 3 belts, 1 air filter and a liter of hydraulic fluid... came to just over £100 :evil:

If you need anything brought up , let me know

Andy

Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:27 am

Cheers Andy, nice site by the way, will do well I expect when a few more start posting, bit quiet on the old BF front at the mo.