Throttle Sticking Problem

Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:41 am

Hi all,

I have a Yamaha 30hp 2 stroke autolube outboard that has a small throttle issue. The throttle itself is moving all be it with quite a bit of pressure, so much so that when i connect the control cables it will not move at all. Has anyone experienced this before? Is it a hard fix? Can anyone recommend a good marine engine mechanic in the Waterford area?

Thanks Lads.

Re: Throttle Sticking Problem

Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:46 pm

If you say it's stiff with the cables removed then I would say the shaft seals are clog up with salt "if you are running in salt water" you will have to drop the gearbox to have a look, also check your gear oil for any water it will turn it white and give a very pleasant smell :D NOT!

Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:43 am

Thanks for the reply Fergalb, i gave it to a lad and he managed to free it up quite a bit with lots of grease. i will check the gear oil myself. Thanks again for the info.

Tom.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:09 am

Good...Was thinking it was a stiff throttle cable issue... Fergal may have read stiff gear shift rather than throttle :)

Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:08 am

Yeh the cable was smooth as silk. It was the housing for the throttle lever where you connect the cable that was the problem. Sometimes my descriptions are not the best. I hope to be able to get it back on the boat and try it out tomorrow, weather permitting of course.

Thanks Lads!

Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:00 am

Yep sorry my mistake I just assumed it was the gear shift as all the throttle has to is push a butterfly ....... how hard can that be :D

Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:23 am

Well, got the engine back. The throttle was a lot freer than it was, but still not free enough to be worked from the controls at the helm. Looks like its off to the outboard experts in Nautic Inflatables in Dungarvan. Sigh.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:43 am

Bassy Tom wrote:Yeh the cable was smooth as silk. It was the housing for the throttle lever where you connect the cable that was the problem. Sometimes my descriptions are not the best. I hope to be able to get it back on the boat and try it out tomorrow, weather permitting of course.

Thanks Lads!

TOm if you can post photos it may help. Has anything there being overtightened??? If it jsut happened all of a sudden then something is binding at the engine. you say can you move the throttle with a bit of pressure with no cable attached, so then see if anything is stopping it there, as all that's there is jsut the connnector to the cam gollower for the carbs.maybe some nut was overtighten by accident there? if it does move then maybe the problem may be in the reomte control box. Open that up and see if anything looks out of place...

Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:40 pm

theres the part that is sticking, nothing seems to be overtight and this seems to be the only part not moving freely. I will try to get a pic of it later tonight when i get home.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2rc3hh1.jpg

Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:25 am

http://i42.tinypic.com/2ik3a5v.jpg

thats the part (the throttle lever in the center) that is still too stiff, i think it is corroded and will probably need to be replaced.

Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:20 pm

can you show us photos of how it looks inside??

Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:14 pm

Brother in law took it to nautic inflatables today so i cant get any more pics for the time being fishfeatures. ill let ya know how it goes, hopefully they will be able to sort it. thanks.