Roller Coaster 3 Trailer - Reverse braking problem

Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:26 pm

Please help :( :( ....Went to take the boat out for the first trip this season and noticed the brakes were shot. after new shoes and a new cable and adjustment, I noticed that when I braked hard the hitch damper was compressing fully and clunking. Talked to indespension who said fiit a new hitch damper (which I did), but this has made no difference. Whats worse is that when the hitch stays compressed and I try reverse, the trailer brakes are locking on :shock:
All advice (pics, manual extracts etc) on the best way to try resolve this would be very welcome.

Re: Roller Coaster 3 Trailer - Reverse braking problem

Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:26 am

Hi. Have you tried backing off the brake shoe clearances a bit? If they're new and not worn in yet, they might be rubbing (jack up and spin wheel to check) There should be an adjuster on the back plate - if it hasnt rusted up like mine...
As to the clunking, are you sure its the damper and not the boat itself "nosing" when brakes are applied?

Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:01 am

Hi Sea Dog, thanks for the reply. I free'd up the adjusters when I had the shoes off and can adjust them no problem, so I might take it for a trip to wexford to see if the shoes bed in more (remove high spots ??). If I back off the adjusters (which I have tried) too much I'm afraid its adding to the problem with the hitch damper compressing too much. Yes, I am 100% its the damper and not the boat itself (I can simulate it in my lane at 15 MPH, and if I get out after the clunk, the hitch has compressed (which in effect is putting the brake on) so if i go to reverse, the trailer locks and the hitch starts to lift??

Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:28 am

Are the new shoes on correctly?? is the cable balancer adjusted ok too?? if you set the shoes and adjusters at the hubs ok and then the cables are balanced ok then that'll lead us to the hitch, but you say you've replaced that so i can't see a new hitch being the problem. problem must be cables or shoes IMO

Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:51 pm

I'm nearly 100% that the shoes are on correctly? (I have a small trailer manual, but it only shows one side). During the hub adjusting, I did notice that one side tended to bite more when rotating the wheel backwards?, however I did exactly what you said, adjusted shoes at hub, then cables, then long threaded rod up to hitch. :roll: :roll: The thing is, it will reverse fine (doesn't lock up) once the hitch is not in the compressed position, which make me think its a problem at the hitch end?.......If there was rust on the hitch slider internal (preventing it from self extending once on the move) could this cause the problem?