Fiberglass Hull Repair

Wed May 01, 2013 10:38 am

Hi lads,

i was wondering if anyone has experience repairing small cracks in a fiberglass hull. I have about a 6 inch crack in mine that i want to tackle. I have seen the videos on line and have read a bit about it but wanted some input form someone with first hand experience.

if anyone can advise on the best method and product to use etc, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Tom

Re: Fiberglass Hull Repair

Mon May 27, 2013 6:00 pm

Hi Tom, you may have the job done by now :D but if not this is what I do. Using a dremel with a small grinding stone go along the crack cutting a V shape channel along it to give the fillers a bit more to hold on to, if you are worried about the crack spreading you can also drill a hole at each end of the crack and fill them back up I use west system 105 & 205 mixed with a white pigment but you could use plastic padding or gelcoat filler, use masking tape along each side of the crack and spread on the filler with a bit of plastic like a credit card before it's sets fully remove the tape this will leave the filler a bit raised so when it's set you can sand it down with 600/800/1000/1500 wet paper then give it a buff with rubbing compound and finnish off by waxing.
Good luck :lol: