No pee when flushing with Muff's

Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:39 pm

Lads here’s another little problem to start off my season :roll:

I went and bought the “Salt off kit” to flush out the engine with the ear muff thingies so I gave it a go last week to find that the engine didn’t piss out water as it would when on the water or in a bin of water,

Yesterday I took the boat for a spin and noticed that when I raised the engine water poured from 2 holes that face forward above the water intake would I be right in thinking that these 2 holes might be taking in air when I have the muffs on…. If so should I block them with tape while flushing with muffs :?:

PS, There is a flushing port nut on this 40hp evenrude but i believe it only flushes the head and not the whole system, as far as i can work out it bypasses the impeller and doesn't do the full job,

Re: No pee when flushing with Muff's

Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:49 pm

I assume you had the engine fired up and running with the muffs on?

Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:10 pm

johnwest wrote:I assume you had the engine fired up and running with the muffs on?

Hi John

I turned on the water to the muffs before starting the engine and nothing showed from the pisser, it normally starts peeing a couple of seconds of being submersed in the bin or river,

I hear you can flush out the head without the engine running using the flushing port, I would feel much better knowing that all the salt was washed out by using the muffs,

This stuff “salt off” is supposed to leave a protective coat that prevents build up for a time after using it.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:22 pm

Oops :oops:

I think I’m in the wrong field… this was meant to be put in (boat maintenance) section

Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:09 pm

mann wrote:
johnwest wrote:I assume you had the engine fired up and running with the muffs on?

I turned on the water to the muffs before starting the engine and nothing showed from the pisser, it normally starts peeing a couple of seconds of being submersed in the bin or river,

Hi Mann,

Have you used muffs before on the engine? With mine, as soon as I connect the muffs and turn the hose on the water will be flowing out almost instantly without the engine running.

I don't want to sound condescending but if you aren't familiar with using them you'd better check you've got them in the right place!

All the best

Paul

Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:33 pm

water presssure from the tap to the muffs are different all over the country. some places it is better and others not as good.. so i wouldn't worry about it not coming out as soon as the muffs are attached.
Put on the muffs and turn on the tap, start the enginer and if after 2-3 secs on water from the tell tale shut off the engine..it testing it in abin of water and still no result the you may have a spot if bother.
If nothting then i'd drop the lower unit and inspect the impeller...

Give us your motor serial nuimber and I'll check out regarding the direct attachement to the powerhead for flushing the engine

Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:07 pm

"
if you aren't familiar with using them you'd better check you've got them in the right place!

All the best

Paul[/quote]

Hi Paul

I never had the muffs working on this engine before but I have used them on other outboards so I know the muffs have to be over the water intakes for them to work… I still think it has something to do with the 2 holes at the front of the leg

fishfeatures wrote:If nothting then i'd drop the lower unit and inspect the impeller...

Give us your motor serial nuimber and I'll check out regarding the direct attachement to the powerhead for flushing the engine

as I was saying the impeller is working fine when the intakes are under water, and the flushing port nut is way down by the upper gear oil bolt,

I have since done a check and been told its true that the water does bypass the impeller when using this port so while its handy to flush out the head it just wont do what i need,

Thanks any way lads for the input 8)

Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:32 pm

I just phoned a friend who phoned his friend that has a 35HP Johnson, He has told me that on his 35hp the 2 holes that i spoke of are on the side of his engine just above the intake, Said yes they need to be taped over while using muffs,

I feel this will have sorted my problem, So thanks again to you all for taking the time to reply

Happy days

Mike

Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:05 pm

Mike you shouldn't have to block up holes to get it to work. If you have a lot of water coming from the two holes at the front (pressure relief holes) thenI'd check your thermostat, I suspect it isn't working right.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:27 am

fishfeatures wrote:Mike you shouldn't have to block up holes to get it to work. If you have a lot of water coming from the two holes at the front (pressure relief holes) thenI'd check your thermostat, I suspect it isn't working right.

Hi FF

The water only ran out after a good run up the river, I took it up the river for an hour or so then left it idle at the pontoon while I tied her up then turn it off and raised the engine, that’s when I noticed the water coming from the holes that I never knew existed,

Is this not supposed to happen.. Do you think I should get it looked at ?

Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:39 am

Any pics? I guess if you didn't notice the holes before tgey can't be too big, they are prob only drain holes and are there to get rid of the water from the leg..

Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:13 pm

I just had another chat with the chap that has the 35hp and he sent me a picture from his repair manual (I cant find mine) it shows the 2 holes on the side of his engine and states

"when using a clamp-type adapteron 18-35 hp motors, cover the small holes on each side of the gearcase usin tape"

I have tried to upload it here but having problems doing so, least t seems i wont be doing any damage by covering the holes, when Iget a chance to try it I will be sure to let you know how it goes

cheers

Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:18 pm

I have a DF60 Suzuki which I used to flush with muffs and was concerned about the poor pee flow. I was using the muffs that supply water to both sides. The engine put out a first class flow when in the water so I no longer use the muffs to flush the engine. I use a cut down barrel to flush as I was told it's important to run the flushing long enough for the engine to warm up and any thermostats open.

If your engine puts out a good pee in the water dont use the muffs anymore

Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:53 pm

mtb wrote: I use a cut down barrel to flush as I was told it's important to run the flushing long enough for the engine to warm up and any thermostats open.

Hi MTP

Thanks for your input, I still aint got around to blocking the holes to see if this helps the flow and after reading your reply about the type of muffs you used I might also block the other side of the intake in the hope that this will add more pressure to the water,

The muff I’m using is a single (only lets water out one side) and the blank side doesn’t really seal the inlet that’s not being fed so the water seems to pour out this side almost as fast as it goes in the other,

Know what you mean about the barrel of water and I would normally use that method to flush but I went and paid around 50 squid for a “Salt away flushing kit” and the only way to get this into the full system is to use the muffs,

I will also bear in mind what you said about the thermostat, maybe I should run it in the barrel till its warm then swap over to the muffs,

Thanks again for your ideas 8)

Tue May 28, 2013 7:24 pm

I had a similar problem with a Tohatsu last week- someone suggested sucking on water outlet pipe-I was extremely sceptical but it worked-either a blockage or airlock I thought :)