Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:00 pm

friendly phone call to previous owner may help, maybe boat needs to be in water

Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:13 pm

That was the first thing I did

Prev owner says that it was working , but he has'nt used it in over 6 months
I started the engine..and tried it... still the same :(

Andy

Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:02 pm

Check all contacts from top too bottom, then email manufacturer and check their knowledge base for troubleshooting FAQs

Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:46 pm

Ahhhh, doncha just love Google?

http://www.raymarine.com/raymarine/Subm ... 5_1www.pdf

and have a nosey at:

http://www.raymarine.com/raymarine/defa ... &section=3

Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:54 pm

Already been there mate ...thx :)

yes indeed google is your friend use it wisely :)

Andy

Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:45 pm

Never used radar so not really sure about that problem. If you have it at Fahan you could ring Barry Electronics (based in Killybegs) and I'm sure they could figure out the problem, it will cost though so prob be last resort. I have them up at Fahan on Wednesday to fit a furno gps/sounder unit for me.

Pete

Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:22 am

"Any indication which sensor is involved? My first guess is something has shaken loose in transit. (Obvious, but it has to be said. Sorry. :oops: )

First thing I'd do is to reseat all the connectors. Also check all breakers/fuses.

Pay particular attention to the compass sensor which is feeding in heading data to the radar unit - if fitted.

If the radar also interfaces with your GPS, check that the GPS is up and running. If your GPS outport port speaks some version of NMEA 0183, make sure that the baud rate and message strings it's sending are the same as the radar unit is set up to receive etc.

If there are multiple devices feeding data to the radar (ie compass sensor, gps, etc), try disconnecting them one at a time. Hopefully the duff one will cause no change when pulled, while one that is working should then cause an error to flag up.

Another obvious one, but you have checked the waveguide at both the radar display unit and scanner end?

Obviously - when I said above about pulling connectors, this does not apply to the feed to the scanner - do not try to operate the radar with this disconnected. Also, any cables should be pulled with the power off, then the radar unit restarted.

Since the previous owner ""said"" it worked and you may not have checked this, it's possible that the unit is ok but some other prospective buyer turned on some input function when twiddling with the boat. ie if the radar can take an input from a gyro - or rudder sensor, depth finder, water temp, speed log or some other input that THE BOAT IS NOT FITTED WITH, then you'll get a message like you mentioned. Try going into the setup menu and noting the current state of each setting, then set to all to off/disabled/not installed etc.

Sorry if this above is a bit generic, but if you pay some guy to come in, he's first going to go through the same handle-turning process I've outlined - only it'll cost you. Probably a lot.

If you can get a more exact message or have narrowed it down a bit, post and we'll see if anyone else can help.

PS. I've just RTFM on the Raymarine site and note that this unit has a simulator mode. Try setting it up in simulator mode (both radar and data) and then with data simulation on only, and then with radar simulation on only. Any of those settings clear the error?

Given the extensive functionality of the unit, I'd print off the manual and take it with you....."
Last edited by x on Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:33 am

Thanks for all the replies ..... good info much appreciated

Andy