DSC Help

Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:11 pm

hi all,i have got a new gps system and want to connect my vhf radio to it,as in dsc,what do i need to do,have any of you this done,do you have to do a vhf radio course first,and then do an advanced one for the dsc to be registered,or is it a lot of hassel,or just use chanel 16 god forbid,any help would be much appreaciated as always,thanks,dezzer........................

Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:44 pm

As far as I know the new VHF radio course includes the Dsc license
once you have that ...you get an "unlock" or code for your Dsc radio
Will tell you better mid december ...doing mine then

Andy

Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:02 pm

If you have a radio and gps set up with DSC function fitted you should definitly have it connected up. You need an MMSI number which is your own boats personal identification number. You will need to do a radio course (Partial GMDSS) but it is worth it. VHF 16 is gradually on the way out, some coast radio and coastguard stations are not even 24 hour channel 16 monitoring anymore. DSC or digital selective calling is the future, you should no longer be able to buy a new vhf with out this function. It is much safer than calling on channel 16, a coast radio station will always be alerted by a DSC distress whereas no one may hear your call on CH16. DSC works simply by pressing a couple of buttons on your unit, very fast and very easy - this then alerts the emergency services and as it is linked upto the GPS they immedialty have a position as well. DSC still transmits on VHF but on channel 70 as opposed to channel 16. Most transmitters also have menu functions allowing you to type in either messages or to select a 'distress' type such as fire, collision, grounding etc.
All in all DSC is a very good system, already fully implemented in the commercial world and only a matter of time until fully up and running in the leisure industry, as I say Channel 16 is on the way out slowly but surely.
It is worth doing a proper marine radio course and getting to know how the unit works. It is a legal requirment to have a certificate for any VHF that is used??
Cheers
Paul

Tue May 09, 2006 9:43 pm

just for info. for a non comercial boat in the uk you just have to apply for a dsc licence . if its your first you get a mmsi number. cost £20. takes about 5 working days if you do it online.

hope this helps.

got mine today.