fiberglass help

Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:51 pm

hi all just finnished building new wheelhouse on my 22ft colvic sea worker all done with marine ply i was going to glass all the joints but i was wondering how many layers i should use or should i just glass it all and as before how many layers should i use? cheers for any advice

fiberglass help

Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:10 pm

this is my first time using resin in big amounts so all advice is greatly apreciated cheers

Re: fiberglass help

Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:34 pm

personally Jacko if I was going that far I'd cover it all to make it fully waterproof. I'd go with at least 1 layer of CSM (chopped strand mat) and then one of roven woven. If the finances won't stretch then do at least 2 of the CSM. When using the resin (polyester is what i'd use as it's cheaper and will do a good job for what you're at) just remember once the catalyst is mixed it'll start to go off fairly quickly prob in about 5-10 mins. So mix small enough amounts that you can use quickly rather than large ones which may be forcing you to rush the job. Get a fibreglass roller too which will help to get the trapped air bubbles out. You can lightly sand it afterwards to smooth it off and apply a coat or two of paint. Do this in a well ventilated area , prepare to destroy the floor and don't use sundays best...
also get a good scissors and acetone will remove resin from hands, hair, eyebrows etc......

Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:45 am

I would go with fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin as you will get a much smoother finish and it's easier to work with it will need about 3 coats one every 3 hours to fill the weave, for the first coat I spread it with a plastic squeegee and then use a roller for the other two tipping any lines or bubbles with a dry brush. I use west system epoxy and as it's your first time you should get the pumps that go on the tin it makes mixing very easy as it's one for one :D They also have a great website with lots of info http://www.westsystem.com/ss/

There are more photos of the build in the link below if you want to see how it turned out.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:11 pm

cheers for the info guys and great build fergalb. do i need to use a special primer on the ply or is there cheeper allternitaves ? again cheers lads

Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:49 am

The epoxy will stick to the ply no problem but you will need a primer on the epoxy before you paint it I find Pre-Kote by international works well and it's a one part primer.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:13 am

cheers fergal i have allready got that and paint last summer just need the weather to cooperate with me now as doing the work outside under a open shed with very little wind or rain cover cheers again