charts

Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:01 pm

whats the best charts with lots of detail for finding marks ,to use at home. i have navionics in my plotter but dont know if theres a way of showing this on the computer, is there any disc or paper charts with this sort of detail,
cheers steve

Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:03 am

Have a look at Offshore Navigator Lite. ?79 stg gets you charts for 1/4 of the Irish coast.

http://www.memory-map.co.uk/maptech_marine_software.htm
Last edited by x on Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:21 am

I have the same set up on the PC but I prefer sitting down at the kitchen table with a cup of coffe and spreading out the admiralty charts, spend hours pouring over the things dreaming up potential marks.

Pete

Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:24 pm

thanks for replys, what charts do you use pete, ? the only one i can get in sligo is imray and covers galway to donegal with virtualy no detail
cheers steve

Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:15 pm

what is a good source of charts
online.(to buy, that is)
Pat

Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:34 am

Hi lads,
Admiralty chart 2702 covers all of Donegal Bay and is the one I usually use. Another handy one is 2715 which is dual chart and shows the harbour of Donegal Town and much of Killala Bay, it is much more detailed as these were busy ports at one stage. I bought all of the Donegal admiralty charts second hand a few years ago for a ten euros each but to buy new I think they cost about 40 euro each. The BIM Greencastle Fisheries in school in Donegal sell admiralty charts and then there is a place in Bangor (cant remember name - just type admiralty charts Bangor into google and that should get it). I'm sure there are on-line suppliers in the UK too.

Pete

Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:58 am

Todds chart agency are the main dealers for admiralty charts think they will post them out ok . phone number 028 9146640 ,not sure of the extra codes if your dialing from the south . if they cant get you one it isn't available :lol:

Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:08 pm

Replace the 028 with either 048 or 0044 if dialling south to north.

charts

Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:58 pm

Guys when using admiralty charts you should also use Chart 5011 which is a booklet containing an explanation for all the different little symbols shown on a chart. Only costs a few quid. British admiralty charts can be ordered online, supplied by any decent chandelry shop or the big fishing shops in Killeybegs.
The little booklet is a great aid and lets you identify loads of little symbols that you wouldn't usually notice. Its amazing howe much detail is on these charts. Always be aware though that chart data may be many many years old. Check the edition dates at the bottom of the chart and look at the source data date also shown on the chart. Depths and other dangers must always be approached with caution - a chart is only technically a guide. Profeesional mariners recieve chart corrections weekly to keep charts upto date. Most boaters never correct their private charts hence data may at times be missed.
Tight lines,
Paul

Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:50 pm

thanks lads, some good info here,
cheers steve

Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:11 pm

Might as well mention that the lat/lon as marked on the charts and what you read on your GPS can and usually does differ a little. Not usually an issue in open water but one to bear in mind at night / in confined areas if steering by GPS readings or on autopilot.

Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:41 am

I use Garmin mapsource software on my pc, very handy and displays the coords for anywhere you put the mouse.
Lat/lon datums are changable to be appropiate for us. :)