new boat

Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:58 pm

hello boat anglers
new to this site ,lots of great info and reports.
I am thinking about getting a Longliner (or Strongliner)
for fishing the Galway bay ,clare coast area and I would like your
opinions.Would it be too small and too slow for the adlantic?
I regularly use charter boats in the area and would only use it
in calm weather.
I would also use it on freshwater for trolling etc.
Pat

choice of boat

Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:52 pm

Hi Pat

First, best to register; you can use PMU and the details you enter are only for this site. The site is for anglers by anglers and is not for profit, just to put your mind at ease... to register look up between the logo and picture.

I am looking at buying something similar, after many years of threatening to do so, and I reckon a 16' strikeliner or similar is good. I will be fishing around Clew Bay and much like yourself, I want to be able to launch it myself, so a relatively ligh boat is essential - a warrior etc. is too heavy.

I am told by Peter that his 16 footer is fine for around Teelin and Slieve League in Donegal, and that it has handled a force 4/5 on short trips... so the margins of Galway Bay should not be a problem. Have you done it before, because if you have not, I would strongly recommend the BIM courses on safety, VHF radio etc. as an essential bit of preparation for it.

I owned a boat on the east coast and you learn a hell of a lot just from drifting over the reefs etc. just offshore, no more than 500 metres out.

Finally, the prices here are rip off republic gone mad. If you look at the prices for similar boats in the UK, even allowing for the currency exchange rate, you will save up to 50% - all you need is the ability to tow it back. If you know someone in the UK who is coming across on holidays and who will tow it for you, better still...

FWIW...

Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:00 am

registered now.
Pat

options...

Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:40 am

http://www.findafishingboat.co.uk/non_commercial.htm
http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk

Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:55 pm

Had a longliner 16ft many yrs ago. Fished Sheephaven off donegal on some really dirty days. superb sea boat will go through anything.have moved up to 19ft fastliner more space etc and will do 17kts.

orkneys highly reccomended.

Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:53 pm

PMU,
Another boat worth considering is the Redbay - both 166 and 19 ft models, very similar to the Orkney strikeliner and fastliner. Made up in Red Bay Cushendall.
I had 19ft one for a couple of years, good angling boat with plenty of room. 40HP Yamaha gave 21kts with one person onboard. Economical and safe. Bit heavy for one man launch.
Get the right dsafety gear and an auxillary engine of about 6hp is a good idea.
Cheers
Paul

Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:47 am

I had a redbay fastfisher 166 for a good few years and tey are a fine boat, got occasionally caught in a heavy sea and was no bother to her.
Ideal for inshore angling :D

Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:55 pm

have had a hardy 18 for 3 years now. every confidence in her. very rare on second-hand market owners tend to keep unless upgrading. would reccomend highly