Downrigger

Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:33 pm

Gents,
Has anyone got a 'downrigger' fitted to their boat or used one with any success around Ireland? I have used down riggers for trolling whilst fishing abroad, salmon fishing in Alaska and Kingfish in Kenya and I see Glasgow Angling Centre doing a Scotty model at a good price, I was thinking fo fitting one to the boat.
I think would work well trolling a Shad or rubber eel, or even a live bait, allows you to cover a lot of ground and if you find an area fishing well you can revert to traditional methods. Surely trolling over a wreck (Watching your depth of course to avoid getting caught up) would work well? It also allows you to fight the fish direct then as no weight on the main line one the downrigger clip has pulled? I believe a lot of boats in the UK have used them for Bass?
Any body with any ideas - appreciated?
Cheers
Paul

Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:21 pm

Paul,

Get on to Penn (Europe) or Neil Mackellow (he works for them) they used to offer the same model DR as most of the US boats used. I would go with tried and tested for this kind of gear. Not that cheap, but last a lifetime 8)

They will put you on to a supplier over here, in fact I think Penn's Irish agent may even order them for you. if you dont get anywhere send me a PM and I'll give you his phone number.

Tom.

Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:24 pm

I know a guy very close to you who has one but it's not for sale as he is putting it on his boat this season! :?:

Gerry

Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:14 pm

Hi Paul,
Have used one when fishing for ferox in fresh water. Have never considered using it in the sea but no reason why it wouldnt work.

Pete

Gerry

Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:02 am

Gerry,
We'll have none of this guest stuff - sign up like everyone else!!!! Although this is a site for fishermen - not boaters!!!!!!!!
See yopu in December.
Paul

Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:36 pm

Now now! that's not nice, you know fine well that the last time we where out I caught more fish than you!! :wink:

Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:58 pm

Hogie wrote:Now now! that's not nice, you know fine well that the last time we where out I caught more fish than you!! :wink:

Its his bait board/sun lounger it scares the fish off :D

Andy

Fahan

Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:13 pm

Are you the guy who is bringing his boat to Fahan! If so don't park it besise Paul, he needs a wide berth :shock:

Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:13 pm

I am indeed ...was down there on Monday taking a look about .... saw your Jenneau ...nice boat

Andy

Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:40 am

Did you tow it from Aberdeen? I spent a bit of time in the old granite city, in my younger oilfield days.

Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:16 pm

No... going over on the 20th (touch wood) should have her in Larne for the 21st. Going to put her into lough Erne for a few weeks until I get used to her.
Hopefully be on the marina for 2nd week in December.

Andy

Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:39 pm

Being used to Aberdonians, check that the engine is in her before you tow ut away! :wink: