handheld vhf

Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:11 am

Hi guys need advice on handheld vhf I currently fish my task force q 18 out of doonbeg co Clare anywhere I venture I have good phone coverage and want to get a hh vhf as backup. My question is do I need to get a vhf licence if I buy a hand held unit or do they work anyway?? Any advice is appreciated

Re: handheld vhf

Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:23 am

It will work anyway. Theoretically you should have a licence, it is illegal to use a VHF without one. There are more people using VHF without a licence than with.You would need 2 licences: A users licence & a ships licence. As I say, I would speculate that the majority have neither. I do not think there has ever been any sanction against somebody broadcasting without licences.

Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:31 am

That's what I was thinking god forbid if needed to use being sanctioned for using it illegally would be least of our worries..also I'm sure if I came to aid of somebody they wouldn't be giving out about it...a grey area really these vhf radios are

Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:34 am

Murchu wrote:That's what I was thinking god forbid if needed to use being sanctioned for using it illegally would be least of our worries..also I'm sure if I came to aid of somebody they wouldn't be giving out about it...a grey area really these vhf radios are

True indeed.

Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:40 am

One thing worth considering is the range of the hand-held VHF. In theory, each watt of transmitting power gives you a nautical mile of range - your typical hand held is a 5 watt unit, so it should in theory have a 5 sea mile transmitting range. The reality can often be different; local geography, athmospheric conditions, the height of the unit above sea level, etc, etc all effect the range of the unit. At work we use Icom M71 units. These are 6 watt units, so in theory have a range of 6 nautical miles. Their range is often less than this - not because of any fault with the unit (I'd go for Icoms everytime), but because the areas we work in may not be ideal for VHF transmission.

It might be worth thinking about fitting a "normal" radio to your boat (i.e. a 25 watt set, with a theoretical 25 mile range). If you go with the hand held, I'd suggest carrying a spare, charged battery as well. If you're out on your own, it might be worth thinking about a PLB (Personal Locator Beacon).

Sorry, don't mean to lecture :D

Regards,

Liam.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 pm

i take the vhf when out on my own on the rocks but I hear of more and more people using personal locators. are they worth it?

Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:59 pm

Thanks for reply guys this will really be a back up at moment to my mobile which I always seem to have coverage with but hope to fit fixed vhf during winter months

Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:32 pm

Murchu wrote:Thanks for reply guys this will really be a back up at moment to my mobile which I always seem to have coverage with but hope to fit fixed vhf during winter months

Hi Murchu, the mobile should really be the backup to your VHF, you cannot hear other people in distress, small craft warnings and other such info with a mobile! One advantage of getting licensed is that you must pass an exam which hopefully means you will attend a course and learn how to use the vhf properly, there is an awful lot of abuse of radios out there..... JimC mentions that he hasn't heard of any illegal users being sanctioned but I recall reading somewhere that the relevant authorities descended some place in England and confiscated non licensed radios after monitoring lots of improper use.

Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:09 am

here is a bit of information about antennas and setting up a marine radio http://www.saltyjohn.co.uk/resources/Ma ... lation.pdf
its worth paying a bit more for a better antenna and cable as a lot of signal can be lost from both and when your setting up the radio check the swr of the antenna