Hydrofoil Duel Fins

Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:50 pm

Hi Chaps.
I am thinking of fitting Hydrofoil Duel Fins to my 2010 Mercury 60 hp outboard (2 stoke).
But im worried about drilling holes through the fins of the outboard to fit them.
Is there any benifit by having them fitted, im getting about 23 knots from it at the moment
but it drinks petrol like its last orders at the bar :?

Re: Hydrofoil Duel Fins

Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:38 pm

I think if they were any use mercury would have them on all their outboards, if anything they add drag to what mercury spend millions to design :D

Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:11 am

Just on another note as your engine is 2010 you may void your warranty by drilling holes in the cav plate and putting extra stress on the engine,worth checking out before you make up your mind.

Hydrofoil Duel Fins

Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:21 pm

They are supposed to help with lift and getting on the plane quicker. I've heard of a little extra speed with them, but would doubt you would get much. Getting on plane quicker can help with fuel consumption, but a 60 2 stroke is a thirsty beast anyway.

Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:30 pm

MAC wrote:They are supposed to help with lift and getting on the plane quicker. I've heard of a little extra speed with them, but would doubt you would get much. Getting on plane quicker can help with fuel consumption, but a 60 2 stroke is a thirsty beast anyway.

Just going to forget the idea of fitting the fins to it.
Thanks for the advice :D

Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:16 pm

have a look at smart tabs from Nauticus , i think Marineparts in swords stock them. they are meant to improve fuel efficiency and to a few other things to improve the overall performance of the boat. Am considering them myself.