Need help with steering problem

Fri May 18, 2012 11:53 am

HELP!!

So I picked up my new boat a month ago and dropped it in for some repair work to the port side.
Picked it up yesterday and its in my driveway. I've a huge list of jobs to do to it!

However it seems the steering has gone a bit wonky. I can turn the wheel fully to starboard (two turns from center) but it only goes partially to port (one turn from center). The teleflex is original (on a 10 year old orkney 590tt) and the engine is a 60hp 2 stroke. When I viewed the boat the steering cable was out (of the tilt tube) but its been left in for the last 2 months (I never saw or tried the steering when the cable was in the tilt tube).

If you look at the picture you can clearly see where the cable is stopping (where the grease stops).

I tried grease and force and a little heat from a hairdryer to move it but it wont budge.
So I tried to remove the cable from the tilt tube, but that wont budge either?

Any idea's would be greatly appreciated... I'll be working on the boat all weekend so don't want to drop it in the dealers to sit idle in the yard until they fix it next week.

Thanks
Last edited by Donnyboy1 on Fri May 18, 2012 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Need help with steering problem

Fri May 18, 2012 1:18 pm

You might have a pressure lock. This can happen if grease is applied when the steering arm is fully or partiall open. It might be worth opening the nut where the steering attaches. remove some grease and make some turns in both directions to make sure the cable is extending fully in both directions. Re-attach and try again. You could also try cleaning the steering rod as well.

Kev

Fri May 18, 2012 1:22 pm

thanks Mac,

I've taken the nuts of both ends of the tilt lube (so the steering should not be attached at all) but its stuck fast. It will only fully extend, but it will not fully retract... I dunno what could be stopping it, thanks again.

Sat May 19, 2012 1:13 am

Mmmm.... not a pressure lock so. I'm not very good on the business end of the steering. Sean P but a excellent article together on how to clean the teleflex steering cable. It's somewhere on Boat Angling Ireland. Someone might have a link. It might be worth trying. After that you might have to replace the cable.

Kev

Sat May 19, 2012 8:37 am

thanks kev, was thinking that myself... If only I could get the feckin thing out!!

if I can't get it out this weekend, it'll be off to the mechanic on Monday :(

Sat May 19, 2012 10:20 am

mate had something like that happen to an old boat i had have a look under the steering wheel and make sure there is no obstructions to the worm that turns inside the cable connected to the wheel if nothin is stopping it the only way i found to get the cable out for the engine was a hammer and keep tapping it back once its a far as you can get it lock a vice grip on the right side and keep tapping that till it pops out

Sun May 20, 2012 1:16 pm

thanks man, doesn't seem to be any obstructions, but even if there were, that would not explain how I cant get it out of the engine itself!
I'll try ther vice grips, thanks!

Sun May 27, 2012 10:31 pm

Have you sorted this issue yet? Where in east cork are you? I could have a look at it during the week for you.