Flares

Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:30 pm

What is the law regarding Flares in the north (distress flares not the jeans)
You used to have to go to Musgrave Street police station and get a license is this still the case ?

b0ogaloo

Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:33 am

YUP! off to the police station ask to speak to the explosives/firearms officer, get the form, fill it in, and off you go. of course you can buy them in england without all that fuss, but then it would not be legal would it? i mean if you were like, sinking and sent up a flare and the life boat came out and you had no permit then they would have to go away and leave you to drown! you get what i'm saying here? i mean who has a radio license? (ok all you with the dsc's)

Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:04 am

Cheers for the info

b0ogaloo

Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:15 pm

hi boogaloo,are you anywhere near the border,as i have been pricing some flares myself,two shops i wont name names,but one in waterford and one in tipperary have flares etc for sale,they look fairly good and the best around 40 euro each,also emergency packs containing flares for 150 euro,you can buy these no problem without any permits,there might be a shop near the border you could try,dezzer............

Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:57 pm

Im in Belfast . I dont mind going to the police station getting the license etc .
I had one 10 years ago when I last had a boat. Just thought that now the troubles are over , the laws might have relaxed a bit .

Waiting for a guy from Ardclinis center phoning me back about the VHF-DSC upgrade course ...SRC I think its called .

b0ogaloo