Mooring Fee's etc

Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:20 am

Hi all
Well I've done it ...gone and bought me a boat :)
Shes a Hardy Fishing 24 with extended wheel house
I'm going over to collect it on the 21st of next month from Aberdeen.

Few questions ...
Does anyone from the North know of anywhere, that stores boats over the winter ... I have a friend up in Rathrisland who's will keep it for me , but its a bit far away .... somwhere closer to home say within 20 miles of Belfast ?

Mooring fee's .... Where can i get prices for moorings ?
Is it possible to buy/rent moorings at the likes of Teelin in Donegal or do you just sink your own ?

thanks in advance

b0ogaloo

Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:25 am

Pics of boat, not the one I've bought but identical

http://www.boats-for-sale.com/morepictu ... TAILPOPUP2

b0ogaloo

Mooring

Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:41 am

Why not trailer the boat home for the winter period? Assuming of course that you have suitable space at home. There are many advantages to this.

Peter.

Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:11 am

Hi

No space at home for her.

b0ogaloo

Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:40 am

well done mate ,lovely boat,should be somewhere around bangor or the marina there.any boat yards up there in belfast they should have room.

Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:13 pm

try yacht clubs i pay £3 per foot (i think non members pay double) for winter storage most are well filled by now but maybe for next year. dont know the position with moorings in eire but here you supposed to get crown permission - but no one does! as regards sinking your own it is not as easy as you might think (certainly not for this size of boat) i have a huge train wheel that weighs 1/4 ton then about 10 feet of seriously heavy chain then 20 feet of 5/8 chain. have you considered how you would move something like that into place? also it needs lifted and inspected every 2-3 years and the shackles replaced and probably the rising chain, how would you do this? if the water was shallow enough i suppose divers might do it but if its a muddy bottom (the best kind for a mooring) they might kick up so much mud that they could not see a damn thing!.

Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:21 pm

I was just wondering if you were allowed to sink your own moorings, or do you need to get permission.

I used to give them a hand to sink moorings @ whiterock yc (co down). So I know hows its done ... mooring barge and big precast concrete moorings. or as you say train wheels or old engines .

Although I have seen it done using floatation bags @ Ringhaddy

I hav'nt decided yet where I want to keep the boat. I met Lee in town on Saturday he suggested Glenarm Marina, so I've dropped Larne council an email to see whats available.

Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:30 pm

congrats boogaloo, she looks a bute, what will you be towing her back with?

Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:13 pm

fiat 126 .... with wide wheels :D

Nah only joking. I'm a landrover freak I drive one of these

[img]http://www.allcarpictures.com/pictures/land-rover/defender-110/land-rover-defender-110-002.jpg[/img]

Got a shortwheel base one too :)

Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:12 am

Strictly speaking in the south you need a foreshore licence from the department of the marine to put down a permanent mooring.

Pete

Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:19 am

Thanks for the info

b0ogaloo

Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:17 pm

theres a farm behind the ice bowl in dundonald that stores boats and caravans ,pretty secure with gates and flood lights and stuff ,its the same guy that rents the allotments up beside streamvale open farm, think its ballyhanwood you call the farm . couple of mates keep their boats there with no probs .

Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:32 pm

That would be spot on .Could you get me a phone number ?

Thanks
b0ogaloo

Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:24 pm

nice looking boat bOogaloo,it would almost be a shame to get it clobbered in fish guts! :)

Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:59 pm

its called hanwood storage 90485455 as far as i know they do covered in lock up sheds as well . but mates have no prob with outside areas ,as theres a 10 foot wall around it so no chance of engines being lifted

Moornings

Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:23 pm

Lough Swilly marina, not a million miles from Teelin. Its in Fahan on the main Derry/Buncrana road about 15mins from derry. Very secure and Marina makes it dead easy any time you want to get out. Also you don't have to worry about the weather, i used to keep a boat on a floating mooring and believe me its a nightmare any time a bit of wind gets up - especially if you where in Belfast!
The Marina is a bit more expensive but for the sheer handiness and security of it its great, insurance companies also don't like swinging moorings.
My boat just about 24 ft (Ocqateau 685) and the security of a marina for boats of this size is great. Costs are a bit high but for the peice of mind not bad.
Fishing not bad in the Swilly either and quite a few boats there now doing a bit of fishing so always somoeone to head out with which is nice for security especially during the winter months. Very varied fishing.
Any more info you want let me know and if not good luck with the new boat.
Cheers
Paul

Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:25 am

the marina at swilly is brilliant, and yes you're right about the insurance but do you really think he wants to tow a 24ft boat from swilly to teelin every time he wants to fish? when there are good moorings in killybegs harbour?

Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:58 am

To be honest i'm not sure where I will be keeping the boat or what fishing grounds I will be covering . At the moment im open to suggestions.

I was thinking about somewhere on the Antrim coast, because its
(a) handy to belfast
(b) fishing isnt too bad
However all the marinas I have contacted are full up . with waiting lists of 6 plus boats
I could keep the boat up in Killinchy Co Down, because I have friends up there with plenty of space for a boat ..... but that sort of limits me to fishing Strangford Lough and the surrounding area .... Fishings ok but not great .

I also mentioned Teelin because I have family in Donegal, just outside Castlefinn, big farm so storing the boat isnt a problem. Ive been on charters out of Teelin and the fishings's great.

I would like to keep the boat at a marina over the summer , so I could go and spend the weekends on it, prices so far have been scandalous. be cheaper buying a house.... but like I said im open to suggestions .

Thanks for all the info so far

Andy