Green stuff on my power plugs

Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:39 am

Lads I’m back again :roll: :)

When I put the chart plotter / radio and FF on the boat for the first time this season nothing happened so I did the same as last year - in that I followed all the wiring back to the battery and cleaned every fitting / fuse and connectors.

So far I have the radio and plotter sorted but the FF is not willing to wake from its slumber. Found that once again the female plug type thingy’s that fits into the back of the electronics had the green colored stuff that builds up and I know this makes for a bad connection.

My mate came up with ideas to stop this happening but I think these ideas could make matters worse, one idea was to wrap the plugs in plastic “ I think this could cause a moisture build up ? “

Another idea was to put Vaseline on the female plug that's exposed to the elements “This too worries me because if Vaseline is used is it not a conductor of electricity which in turn might cause a short circuit”

My mates may be right but I thought I would ask here as you all must have come across this problem in the past,

I also get this problem with my trailer lights,

In anticipation of your help I thank you’s

Re: Green stuff on my power plugs

Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:15 am

One of the causes of this is the wire ends twisted together leaving small gaps between the strands if you solder the ends and coat in STAR BRITE Liquid electrical tape it should help.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:13 am

Hi Fergal

I will keep that in mind as I do have joined naked wires on the radio but that’s working at the moment so I’m not too pushed about it but I will get starbrite as it sounds just right for the job,

It’s the plugs that are my main worry right now.. Would you happen to know if there is any type of spray that might stop this green stuff building up inside of the female plugs, the only way I know of getting rid of it is to keep pushing it on and off of the pins on the plotter & FF - I don’t like doing this because I think it will eventually wear away the connectors making for a loose fitting.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:28 pm

I hear good things about this stuf ACF- 50 I think Halfords sell it. http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... rmula-9086

Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:53 pm

vaseline/petroleum jelly is the way to go, told to me many years back from a marine electronic installer :wink:

Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:03 pm

fergalb wrote:I hear good things about this stuf ACF- 50

Thanks Fergal

I can think of a hundred other uses for this item so I will give it a go next time I go down to Cork

Cheers man :D

JOHN1 wrote:vaseline/petroleum jelly is the way to go, told to me many years back from a marine electronic installer :wink:

Hi John

Have you put the Vaseline on the outside of the fitting to seal it or did you cover the little pin holes on the female socket when not connected to the electronics ?

You see I take all the gear off the boat after each trip, last season everything worked fine because I used it regularly and this stopped any build up of what I now know to be caused by copper carbonate,

I just found this site below that says lemon juice will break it down so I will give it a go on the FF connection before doing anything else,

Thanks for the tips gents

http://www.tech-faq.com/what-causes-cop ... green.html

Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:15 pm

just a light smearing on the female connections that are left in the boat :wink:

Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:37 pm

Cheers John

I will try the lemon to see if it clears the FF fitting then I will put the Vaseline on that connection and if it don’t blow up I will put it on the others,

I could do with a better fish finder any way :)

Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:54 am

Never heard the lemon juice trick before, must try it. I use a can of electrical switch cleaner spray I got from my local electricians wholesaler. If you're near a Maplins, they have it too. The stuff coats the contacts and stops the muck getting on them again.

When i put the boat in the shed for the winter, I give the contacts a squirt, leave it overnight, then press a flat segment of BlueTack over the opening of the female plug. That seals it up totally but comes off cleanly next season.

Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:30 pm

Just make sure the lemon juice is well cleaned out if you are using it on a multi point conector as it's a very good conductor of electricity and can short out your gear, might be a good idea to disconnect the battery while you are doing the cleaning :)

Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:31 am

Hugo wrote: I give the contacts a squirt, leave it overnight, then press a flat segment of BlueTack over the opening of the female plug. That seals it up totally but comes off cleanly next season.

Hallo again Hugo :)

The blue tack cover is a great idea and you can be sure I will use it even when the boat is not going to be used for a couple of weeks to save the gradual build up,

Thanks again

fergalb wrote:Just make sure the lemon juice is well cleaned out if you are using it on a multi point conector as it's a very good conductor of electricity and can short out your gear, might be a good idea to disconnect the battery while you are doing the cleaning :)

Hi Fergal

The very thing that I was worried about in the case of the Vaseline “short circuit” could have happened had you not mentioned this,

Great stuff lads, I think this problem will be under control thanks to the much appreciated tips you all gave

Cheers

Mike