Restarting an outboard after 5 months asleep

Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:24 am

My 40hp EFI has been asleep for about 5months and I’m about wake her up, I want to start by changing the oil and filter
Should I start her up to warm the oil or should I drain it cold, in my minds picture I’m thinking all this time asleep would have drained every last drop of oil from the head so starting it up might cause damage,

Had planed on spraying fogging oil into the head before parking her up but never did, so do you reckon that after changing the oil I could still spray a little of the fogging oil in to protect the rings and give the new oil a chance to circulate ?

This Evinrude EFI also never got drained of petrol before being stored simply because I been used to carbs where you just take the screw out of the float bowl- should I be worried about this getting into the jets… is there anything I can do to minimize the amount of old fuel getting in or is it too late to be thinking about it and just go ahead and hope for the best,

Any ideas on this folks

Re: Restarting an outboard after 5 months asleep

Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:32 pm

fresh petrol is the first thing to get also fully charged battery new plugs or try running on old ones if she starts then replace them with new would not be to worried about oil yet check the gear oil . lube up all moving parts with grease gun would not spray fogging oil now should have done it 5 months ago if you can drain old fuel out it would be better if you pull one of the spark plug leads out and then fire it up it should put plenty of oil backm up around the head imo

Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:15 pm

Start away and see how it goes!
You will have little trouble from pertrol unless there has been contamination. If the tank is well sealed you should not have any worries.

Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:14 pm

JimC wrote:Start away and see how it goes!
You will have little trouble from pertrol unless there has been contamination. If the tank is well sealed you should not have any worries.
Hi jimC. i will also be staring my engine after 7 month of not going. i did drain the petrol out and ive a half tank of petrol left its in a plastic out board engine can .will this petrol be ok to use , ive been told petol can go off. the engine is a 9.9 yamaha 4 stroke.is there any thing i should do before pulling the cord.. { hope you dont mind me joining in on your post mann,}thanks for any help on this.

Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:53 pm

If petrol is stored correctly it will not "go off". The worry is contamination from water, dirt, etc. If you have any concern that there may be water in the petrol then don't use it. To ease my mind I would probably top up the tank and work away.

Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:16 pm

JimC wrote:If petrol is stored correctly it will not "go off". The worry is contamination from water, dirt, etc. If you have any concern that there may be water in the petrol then don't use it. To ease my mind I would probably top up the tank and work away.

Have a read of this about E/petrol absorbing moisture.
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format ... 4967959243

Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:47 pm

JOHN1 wrote:
JimC wrote:If petrol is stored correctly it will not "go off". The worry is contamination from water, dirt, etc. If you have any concern that there may be water in the petrol then don't use it. To ease my mind I would probably top up the tank and work away.

Have a read of this about E/petrol absorbing water

Indeed, ethanol/alcohol attracts water. Our petrol is E5 (5% ethanol).
I think that with inboard tanks it is more important than ever to have a good seperator filter.

Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:53 pm

The thing is any amount of ethenol will absorb water, i had a carb issue last year and it was put down to ethanol seperation, been sugar based it can clog up jets :shock:
ours is supposed to be E5% but you never know what might be going on behind closed doors so to speak :|

Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:30 pm

JOHN1 wrote:The thing is any amount of ethenol will absorb water, i had a carb issue last year and it was put down to ethanol seperation, been sugar based it can clog up jets :shock:
ours is supposed to be E5% but you never know what might be going on behind closed doors so to speak :|

Engine manufacturers have no probem with E5. Sometimes I think that workshops latch onto things as being the "root of all evil". The majority of the bio-ethanol used in Whitegate refinery is sourced from Carbery so i'm told. It would be a biproduct of dairy processing.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:49 pm

Lads thanks for all the tips,

I didn’t get back to you’s on this earlier reason being I just couldn’t find the time to start work on the engine,
Got a couple of hours free yesterday so checked the wheel bearings and look squeaky clean so just regreased and stuck back on to fight another day… will get a spare set during the week,

Surprised to find a full 25lt tank of petrol on board so didn’t want to waste it so all I did was to clean out the feed tube and priming bulb then cleaned out the fuel filter and hit the button,
Other than a dirty connection to the battery she started up find “Happy days”

Trim and tilt played up again so had to clean the connections again and I’m pleased to say that too is back in action,

I will be taking her onto the river Shannon for a few hours before bringing her down to cork to catch some of them Cod that Jim and his mate put back,

Jim your last video was wicked, I played it for the lads in the pub and not one of them could keep a straight face :) :)

Thanks again for the help lads

Much appreciated

Mike

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:59 pm

Jim your last video was wicked, I played it for the lads in the pub and not one of them could keep a straight face

Is that a good thing or a bad thing :D :D

Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:32 am

Wickedly funny Jim,

Your videos are great to watch when I cant get out, used to watch Henry Gilbey’s “Fishing on the edge” and got a good few tips because as you would know he showed people what he was using and told how to use it… unlike a lot of the fishing programs on TV that have a “Look what I caught” type of attitude,

Yourself and Kevin would make some good programs, I was going to put my boat back to Kilkee this year but after seeing the Craic down in cork I went and sorted a mooring in Aghada, Cant wait to get back down and try out some of the soft plastics you told me about,

Cheers man

Mike

Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:29 am

Good Stuff Mike! Donal is spot on on his info. Aghada is a nice area. The Long Point in Whitegate do reasonable B&B as well. If you are launching and retrieving Guileen is also an option the slipway is grand say 2hours before/after low water.

I put up another short clip.... :D :D
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=38784

Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:48 am

Jim that was the video I was on about.. Looks like ye had a great craic as it should be man, Fair play to Donal he pinpointed the spot for me and I later went and found a site to do with the tennis club I emailed them this afternoon but have yet to get a reply,

I was telling my mate “Dulittle” about the B/B you told me about and we both agree it sounds just right, some people worry about the noise when you are sleeping over a pub but we are usually the last to leave the bar so I reckon we will sleep soundly,

don’t know if I will be able to convince him to stay overnight this time around but its great to have a petrol station and a place to get the head down in the area,

Thanks for the info 8)

Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:20 am

Sorry to go off topic but ..... great video ! :wink: