Chartplotter on your phone

Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:43 am

This looks like a handy App for the phone, I was searching for a site that sold C-Maps for my plotter and got lost in a web full of gadgets and gismos then I came across this wicked little tool,

I could only find reviews on this from the US and after a quick search I found another site to download the marine maps for Ireland,

Have any of you tried this app yet

http://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/marine-i ... 48818?mt=8

Seems like a good cheap way of having an idea of an area your fishing for the first time or just a handy backup,

Re: Chartplotter on your phone

Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:47 pm

I have been using this one by Navionics 'UK- Holland' http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/marine-u ... 09624?mt=8 it's quite good even for inland waters.

Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:00 pm

does anyone know if there is an app for garmin mapsourse for the iphone,eddie..........

Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:17 pm

dezzer wrote:does anyone know if there is an app for garmin mapsourse for the iphone,eddie..........

Is this any use to you Eddie

http://appfinder.lisisoft.com/ipad-ipho ... ource.html

Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:24 pm

fergalb wrote:I have been using this one by Navionics 'UK- Holland' http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/marine-u ... 09624?mt=8 it's quite good even for inland waters.

Hallo Fergal

I just had a read of parts of the link you put up and near the bottom a chap said "it now wont work on his 3G Ph" sounds to me like it had worked for him before but some changes must have been made,

also checked out the work you did on that boat, great stuff man the engine looks like something out of the 60's very nice.

Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:37 pm

Hi mann Thanks, old style is the new style :D

I'm using Navionics on a samsung galaxy and it's still working today. I think I paid €20 odd for it so I hope it dosen't stop working :(

Then again I am sitting at home so it could be working off the wifi :oops: I will have to check it out now to see if it's still working.
Last edited by fergalb on Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:59 pm

i would be cautious about these navionics apps, the version i have has no way to upload
waypoints or enter waypoints, and if you do save a waypoint theres no page
to provide an arrow so you can navigate to it, so really its just an app for
looking at the maps. another problem is once im out of cellphone coverage
i could not get it to work, i reckon nobody has ever beaten the old garmin yellow
etrex gps units :-)

Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:39 pm

fergalb wrote:Hi mann Thanks, old style is the new style :D

Aint that the truth 8)

I have the Galaxy mini so I was wondering if it would work on it, after reading that you too have some sort of Galaxy I feel I need look no further as i would imagine if it works on one it should work on all,

Would you happen to know if i could just load a map for ireland or part of... instead of having england and places I wont be going to,

I did have a look around but the maps I found take in the whole of england as well. its either spend €135 for a c-map or pay small money for this app,

Hi JW
Just seen your post and i'm glad I did because the main reason i was going to get this app was to use as back up for way points on the way out, I still have my GPS60 to back up the plotter, I might still get it for the craic,

Thanks for the advice 8)

Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:48 pm

I got Ireland and the UK for the one price, not sure if you can just get Ireland. I also have my little yellow garmin with me each trip :D

Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:01 pm

Im using Navionics 'UK- Holland' on Iphone as a backup. Cant fault it

Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:41 pm

have the navionics uk -holland map too for the iphone had it 3 yrs now its brilliant changed the iphone 3 times still going fine. its as accurate as the boat gps and depths aswell.brilliant app.well worth it for the the €20 plus i paid 3 yrs ago

Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:29 am

jw wrote:i would be cautious about these navionics apps, the version i have has no way to upload
waypoints or enter waypoints, and if you do save a waypoint theres no page
to provide an arrow so you can navigate to it, so really its just an app for
looking at the maps. another problem is once im out of cellphone coverage
i could not get it to work, i reckon nobody has ever beaten the old garmin yellow
etrex gps units :-)

ya they seem like a great idea but the map is downloaded as needed and not stored on the phone so if you have a weak 3g signal or none at all it can be a bit frustrating.