handheld GPS

Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:07 pm

Im looking for some advice about gps. I have a fishfinder garmin 90 on my 16 foot boat. Im thinking about getting a basic GPS. I want to be able to find few shallow pinnacles/rocks near west cork shore. Ive tried a few times without GPS and it can be hard to find them just using info from big chart.I just want to input coords and find the spot and hopefully fish.

Are the handhelds ok for this? What do you recommend?

thanks

Re: handheld GPS

Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:51 pm

They are as good as a fixed unit.
I've had a Garmin GPS60 for years and it never let me down. I still use as a backup unit on the boat.
If you do invest get a Garmin that you can connect to a computer with a USB cable. Data can be saved on to MapSource or onto Google earth.
Have a look at the Garmin 72H

Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:24 pm

i also have an older garmin gps 72 for back up to the plotter, great little unit easy to operate, i have it years and never a problem :wink:

Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:24 pm

Ideally get a gps with chart. It will make things more visual.

Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:16 pm

Probably a silly question but if i was to buy a Garmin 72h from the states would it be fully functional here ? I fish from a kayak and have been looking for a hand held gps that floats . This looks like a good one. Sorry to butt in on the post

Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:22 am

anthony byrne wrote:Probably a silly question but if i was to buy a Garmin 72h from the states would it be fully functional here ? I fish from a kayak and have been looking for a hand held gps that floats . This looks like a good one. Sorry to butt in on the post

The 72h do not have a map on it so it will work fine here.

One of the features it will have is "back track" so if you do get caught out in fog you will be able to follow home the track you came out on.

Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:29 pm

Thanks for the info. Garmin 72h looks like the one. €119+pp online or €129 in CH marine seems to be the best i can see in ireland.
thanks again

Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:30 am

Styerman has a GPS60 for sale... Almost new

Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:19 pm

thanks Ill have a look at the gps60