major outboard lower unit prob

Fri May 13, 2011 7:59 pm

help,while out today on the river(where i always go for a test) setting up a new fishfinder i took the boat for a small spin to make sure ff was workin ok-water level was down and i hit a submerged metal block/pole and i think ive done serious damage-the lower unit cracked at the prop housin and sheared off.it seems the fin hit and as it broke it sheared off the housing so there was nothing left below the cavitation plate!what trouble am i in here?im totally stressed out over it

Re: major outboard lower unit prob

Fri May 13, 2011 10:39 pm

That was very unlucky.
Serious trouble there. You may be able to pick a second hand gearbox. There's a chance of damage further up depending on how hard the shaft was hit.

Sat May 14, 2011 12:20 am

i was thinkin that jim,yea it got a hard hit so im wonderin if its ruined,i can get it looked at durin the week maybe,ill know more then,im not really sure what to look for damagewise,aany ideas on how much a lower unit wud be(40hp 2 stroke yamaha)

Sat May 14, 2011 10:16 am

You could be lucky,the 40 Yam was a very popular engine. You might manage a second hand gearbox. There are a few guys mentioned on the site here that might be worth contacting: Maurice Cott, Derek ex DDM or Clinton marine. If not mechanically minded yourself get somebody to strip down and have a look to make sure that is all that is wrong. Maybe put a wanted ad on donedeal. If you know anybody in the Navy make inquiries, they used have a multitude of 40's. I'll ask about though I don't have any "real" contacts. Where are you based?

Mon May 16, 2011 11:19 am

Give Maurice Cott (Cork) a ring: 087 7997623

Mon May 16, 2011 2:17 pm

thanks jim,im gonna get it looked at this week hopefully by someone in the know and ill have idea then if the damage is just at the lower unit,im wonderin will the shaft to the lower gears be damaged?im in carlow

Mon May 16, 2011 3:37 pm

Normally that shaft comes with the bottom end.