Rust stains on hull

Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:36 pm

I forgot take the anchors and chains out of the anchor locker before the winter, and now I have a few pale orange streaks over the white gel-coat from rusty run-off out of the locker drain holes. Tried all the obvious ways of getting it off, no result, so anybody got a magic trick?

Thinking about stainless steel chain "going forward", anybody know where I can get it at reasonable price?

Re: Rust stains on hull

Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:06 pm

Try W5 limescale remover from Lidl, if that doesn't work Y-10 hull cleaner should do the trick. Can't help with regards to the chain though I'm afraid.

Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:26 pm

There are various products available from chandlers. I have used one called "gel kleen" and it is great. As said Y10 is a similar style thing.I think the main ingredient in most of these is oxalic acid so if you can get your hands on that you are flying!

As for the anchor chain... I have galvanised chain and have never suffered from rust. Is yours not galvo?

Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:58 pm

As posted,Y10 is the man to sort you out. I use it all the time and it`s amazing stuff. You can get it from Marine parts direct (Swords) along with any amount of chain.

Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:04 am

Thanks for the tips gents, I'll get onto that right away.

JimC wrote:As for the anchor chain... I have galvanised chain and have never suffered from rust. Is yours not galvo?

They were, Jim, but not any more.... got two lengths from the local agri-coop, wont be buying there again....

Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:56 pm

You may have got Zinc coated chain.... not worth a toss :!: You should be fine with galvanised chain from a chandlers.

Kev

Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:28 am

That must be it all right - should've gone to Specsavers..... :oops:

Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:23 am

Made that mistake myself :oops: