Boats Parked on Slipways!

Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:12 pm

Hello all yet another controversial subject for you. In more rural areas of Ireland and sometimes-popular areas Slipways are partially blocked by local boats parked upon them. I have even seen Slips completely blocked by local boats. Does anyone else share my annoyance at this or do you think its ok for locals to park their boats on Slips making life sometimes difficult for others? Shouldn’t Slipways be only for launching and retrieving a boat and not for boat parking?

Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:18 pm

The public slip at Poolbeg is sometimes blocked, but there is no one to enforce any sort of reasonable behaviour. When I put the boat in at the end of March, the slip was partially blocked by a raised wreck of a trawler awaiting insurance assessment. It was there for weeks, to many peoples annoyance.

Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:54 pm

As far as I can see, the local County Councils ares responsible for slipways in their areas - I'm open to correction on this. Write to them and complain. If it's not their responsibility, they'll not be long telling you who you need to contact.