boat trailers

Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:49 pm

hi all, can anyone advise me as where to get a cheap rollercoaster trailer or simillar,or a second hand one, anything with rollers that would suit an 18ft boat at nearly a ton weight. thanks. dezzer........

Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:42 pm

are you sure about the 1ton weight? it seems awfully heavy i have a tub of a 20ft semi displacement and it comes in at less than this. a 1 ton trailer is going to cost you so make sure that your weight is right.
as a guide i think that your ave 16ft (redbay/orkney)is about 1/2ton with engine.

Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:57 pm

reading through your past posts do you thing that you want a roller trailer because your current bunk trailer is too high? the bad news is:- roller trailers are no lower and once the rollers get a bit "used" they don't roll so don't think that you can fire the boat of the back of the trailer into the water by say reversing and slamming on the brakesTHIS PRACTICE IS VERY DANGEROUS!
have you tried adjusting the bunks to their lowest setting or if you don't tow great distances thought of smaller wheels 10" instead of the 13" you probably have at the moment alougth this will only lower your rig by about 2".

Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:37 pm

I have a Rollercoaster trailer that is at least 7 yrs old and I have not any problems with the rollers sticking, rightly or wrongly I started greasing the rollers about 4yrs ago and since then the boat glides on and off a treat.
Sean,

Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:41 pm

hi all, thanks for the comments, the boat is a bayliner trophy 1802, i was told when buying it it was nearly a ton weight,some of this will probaly have to do with an internal fuel tank which holds 52 gallons,also i never tought you could just slam on the breaks on the car and the boat would launch itself,maybe some people do this but i doubt it !! also the car is a jeep and you would definetly know you were towing this boat,if the runners were dropped as you said it will only make a small difference,any more comments especially if you know where to get a cheap or second hand trailer most welcome, thanks to all, dezzer...........

Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:25 pm

sorry ! i did not mean to suggest that you would use the reverse and brake launch technique! but believe me there are idiots out there that do it.
have you thought about a "break-back" trailer? here the trailer splits in the middle the front end goes up and the back end goes down droping the stern of the boat into the water which then takes the weight off the trailer and allows the boat to be launched in quite shallow water.

Colmm

Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:12 pm

Try Indespension. Their out the Navan road past the Blanchardstown shopping centre. They do new roller coaster trailers but they might have some trade in stuff or be able to recomend on somebody.

trailers

Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:04 pm

if you buy rollers, (snipe rollers are cheaper)and get someone to build a trailer they can be made a good bit lower than indie. the rear cradle can be lowered,and the axle can be made so it sits flush with side rails ,not below them, this lowers it a good bit
cheers steve

Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:52 pm

Hi,
I have a similar boat in shape and size and weight to a trophy, i live in the tramore area,launcing from tramore and dunmore, and you are more than welcome to look at it, and more importantly the roller trailer its on.
I launch and recover this boat myself, due to the ease of the rollers. i have many years experience in launching small, and larger boats , and may be able to help.
please pm me with your contact number, and i can call u to arrange a meeting etc
regards

Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:29 pm

Indespension are good but expensive, we have a super roller coaster and have to say its excellent but we purchased it second hand and were burnt!, From our experience I would advise you to take care of the following when buying a second hand trailer.

1) The bearings are new and sealed ones
2) The jockey wheel is in good order, these break easily on heavier boats
3) The hubs have holes that can be washed out with fresh water or are completely sealed ones.
4) There are grease nipples on the outside of the bearing hub
5) The breaks if any are in good working order, these are the first things to go when exposed to salt water.
6) All rollers are greased and rolling; otherwise you will mark the hull

Having a lockable hitch and good handbrake on a trailer can be a bonus too. The breaks on some trailers can be a pain as they go easily and some people would say they are not necessary at all but they do help in certain situations. Another good point we learned recently is when you arrive at your launch point allow for the bearings on your trailer to cool down for about 15 mins before you put the trailer into the water to launch. Putting the boat straight into the water after driving down the road is when most bearing damage is done as they would be expanded from the heat and tend to allow water in at that point. Well that’s my two cents, unfortunately we learned the hard way!

Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:37 pm

hi all, thanks raymondo,sean,colm,steve and robert for a very indept full information reply with good hints, also screaming reels you have mail.i have bought a roller coaster trailer and sold the american one which i am delighted,and hope to pick it up tuesday night,thanks for all the hints,info, and comments any more also welcome. regards dezzer............