boat slipways

Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:17 pm

hi all, i was wondering can any body tell me of slipways which are easy access in the tramore/dunmore east areas,preferably with water up to slipway most of the time. thanks all help appreciated. dezzer...........

slipways

Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:32 pm

Hi dezzer

Would you consider launching off a beach or are you one of these people who hate getting the trailer hubs wet :wink: !?

Tramore has one but it is high water only. Dunmore East must have one but I do not know where in the harbour it is - i reckon that is you best bet. There is a smaller harbour just past Tramore itself on the coast road heading for the Westmanstown ropcks (part of Tramore now really) which has a slipway but again it is mid to high water only.

There are some fairly steep shingle beaches further west... can't remember which ones have access - Ballydowane seems a good option off the top of my head although I can not recall if you can get the car right down. The Boat Strand would be another option, there is definitely a slipway there and it has water most of the time. Depends on the size of boat - what length is it?

HTH...

Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:37 pm

the slip in dunmore is over at the adventure centre , it has water at all stages of tide except on a very low spring. the hassle here is with the sailing club dinghies e.t.c it is very busy and cluttered this time of year unless you go early in the morning and come back and come back late in the evening

Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:44 pm

thanks lads, i dont mind getting wet,but when i reverse into the water the water comes up to the exhaust on the jeep. the problem is the trailer, an american one, it has no rollers and is about 1 ft to high,thus needing a slipway. i have tried dunmore east but as you said hassel with spoilt kids who will just not move out of the way,also the rocks here done some damage to the bottom of the boat. the boat is 18ft and what i really need is a rollercoaster trailer, any suggestions where i could get one cheap or second hand. thanks again for replys, i will try boat strand at some stage. dezzer........

cheap trailer

Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:13 pm

If I recall there is a massive UK boatyard called Crawford Marine somewhere on the Thames and they have exceptional bargains available in the depths of winter. If its 18 foot, look for a breakback which will allow you launch solo, possibly, depending on the type of boat, size of engine, etc. Just a thought.

FWIW