Re: Are Navman devices scrap?!

Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:49 am

Recently got hold of an Advansea chartplotter (which is Navman, Plastimo) ... I bought the C map wide map, which covers the whole of the UK & Ireland.

I also have a Garmin 230 chartplotter fitted to the same boat (bit over the top, but two of everything is better than one, me thinks) ... the details on the Advansea (Navman) is better than the Garmin and the clarity of the display much better. In all fairness the Advansea is a newer model and as with most electronics the more recent, the more significant the improvements, in general.

NO chartplotter unless loaded with a specific map chip, will only zoom down to its base map range, which is inadequate for small boat angling.

All chartplotters will navigate from point A – B in a straight line unless a specific route from A – B is put into the chartplotter ... it’s usually the GOTO button! ... even if you choose to navigate from the map screen from one point to another, again it will only navigate in a straight line, unless there are waypoints entered to deviate the route going from A- TO- B ...

The GOTO function is useful if you know the area you are fishing, and you have the knowledge that you are not going to strike any objects ... (think the Captain of HMS Astute was using the GOTO function)

Otherwise you would need to plot the route via waypoints, this is standard to all Chartplotters. That said most of the GPS satnav system try to cut corners when there are numerous waypoints entered into the route, usually by a few meters. The closer the waypoints are together the more the risk of the thing trying to be lazy.

Navman are compatible to most other chartplotters in their price range. Garmin are good and reliable, but do occasionally suffer with condensation in the screen, this tend not to be detrimental and doesn’t in general effect the units function. Garmin can also suffer with screen coating problems, but again, if it’s cleaned as per manufacturers recommendations this can be greatly reduced. There are better chartplotters than either Garmin or Navman but you would have to pay considerably more for these units.

VHF radio wise I personally for the money like Standard Horizon set. What I did to make my mind up regards to picking a VHF set was look through the RIB forums, knowing that the RIB lads have to have a set that is never under cover and regularly take a real good soaking and pounding. I’ve found it to be totally reliable.

I just fitted a Garmin fishfinder and to be honest I have found it to be lacking a bit, though it might be down to my positioning of the transducer, I had to fit it quickly and fish a match so the jury is still out on the unit, though one of the lads did mention a similar problem when he had the same model, so just have to have a play with it and see.

Anyhow I’m just about to finish my shift so its home to bed for me, unless someone else decides to be unreasonable and have a respiratory arrest :?