outboard help?... whats the best make in your opinion?

Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:01 am

hi all. im looking at getting a out board for driving a 18 ft fibreglass boat for summer fishing next year. [ im fixing up the boat now for next year} i was useing a 5 horse 4 stroke honda but its not man enough for the job. so im thinking of a 15 horse power ,4 stroke but what make is the best ,and is it better to buy new or second hand + any good places to buy a engine. a lot of question but thanks for any help regards Dan.

Re: outboard help?... whats the best make in your opinion?

Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:26 pm

It's Honda all the way for me. Ultra-reliable workhorses.

Buying new is always best if you can afford it, you can never be fully sure how a used one has been looked after unless you know the seller personally, or its a good dealer who'll stand over it.

Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:50 pm

hi Hugo thanks for the reply i heard honda are hard to beat but the price is killing me on a new one .but ill keep looking.

Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:52 pm

Hi mate if your buying new there's not much between all of them these days with 3-5 years guarantee...
I will be buying myself next year for a warrior 165 and the e-tec 75hp has it's nose in front for me

Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:52 am

Tohatsu are a wonderful engine and if you find a second hand one I will check it over free of charge.

Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:50 pm

ya cant go wrong with any of the known makes,ive a yamaha but wud be as happy with any of the makes the others have mentioned-

Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:28 pm

yamaha or honda are best in my opinion especially if buying second hand. be careful and make sure you get someone who knows outboards to have a look with you.

Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:52 pm

Yea I would go with honda or yamaha. check out apolloduck.ie

Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:25 am

Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha seems to be the main players, check out the warrantys if buying new and see who does the best deal. if buying 2nd hand then a survey on the engine is a good idea.