Boats and SUNBURN

Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:31 am

Well folks, K2 has recieved 3rd Degree Burns to his arms and legs due to not wearing proper protection on a boat...
Ive been to Casualty twice so far, and have to go local to get my dressings changed again tomorrow...
Is there a Moral to this story?
WEAR SUNCREAM!!!! 8)
Anyone else ever got it this bad?

Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:05 pm

s*** m8 that sounds rough.
I think my arms and face have become used to it as i get burnt as in reddish brown every year on my arms/hands/face while the rest of me is milk bottle white :D
Although i never go completly topless no matter how hot it gets

Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:08 pm

We had my mates new boat out.... ''The Mistress'' Red Bay 21 with Twin 30's absolute Joy to fish off.... Very Stable and loads of Room.... Nice wheelhouse with big Foxal too....

Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:26 pm

Recently had 2 "moles" removed and tested for skin cancer !! Thankfully all clear - one on back had 18 stitches, one on leg had 5, all down to being stupid while fishing in the sun (shorts and no t-shirt, and low factor cream , if any) and not wearing t-shirt on holidays (while fishing !!).

Since then, I've been out on boats with lads who are fishing in shorts only and very little sun block if any, and me covered up getting stick for not getting my t-shirt off. They're coming off boats red as beetroots , with tight faces in the car on the way home .

I've learnt my lesson - long sleeve t-shirts, factor 30 at least for face and legs, UV block lip balm, the works , and a cap to cover my sun roof - I dont give a damn who laughs at me out on a boat , I'm not prepared to chance my health for a bit of a tan !!

Burns and not getting burnt

Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:11 pm

Being of the pale persuasion , I burn in even 20 minutes of sunshine.
Factor 50 and a wide brimmed hat.
But I do look ridiculous!
Kev
PS Got sunburnt on the inside of my ear at the weekend, after neglecting the aforementioned silly hat

Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:10 pm

I learned that lesson long ago!

So much so, when I went and fished The Skeleton Coast in Namibia, I came back as pale as I left. Factor 60 it was, like putting on emulsion paint! :shock:

Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:08 pm

Likewise, I was blessed with the celtic type skin. Burns in minutes. A recent newspaper article I read confirmed that skin cancer is the most common cancer in Ireland and it also confirmed that fishermen and farmers were most likely to contract it.

It's not worth it lads put on plenty of suncream even if you're shore fishing

Donal.

Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:20 am

Fully recovered except for the arrival of about 3 Million Frekles on my arms :shock: