Looking for a new boat , help needed

Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:40 pm

Hello all ,
I would appreciate some tips from the experienced boaters.
I'm thinking of buying a new boat and surfing the net I found a company jrs-marine.com in Hastings UK , selling very good looking boats called Avocet17 . They seem similar to
Wilson flyer ( at least they look similar ugly ).
But it's not the look , but how they perform , I think.
Anybody any experience with this boat ? What do you think? They seem quite cheep compared with used boats I found advertised.
I will use the boat in Donegal area , so it should cope with rough seas.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Cheers Werner

Re: Looking for a new boat , help needed

Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:35 pm

hi ive the 18ft dory its something similar.its very steady in rough weather and do a nice speed with a 40 hp.its probably a little wider than that one in d youtube video.the avocet looks ok but check out the width its be grand for 3.how much are they looking for the boat on its own.allow for the ferry over n back its not cheap with a trailer, get jr to put it on the ferry it will save you plenty and you only have to pock it up in ferry depot that what i did in rosslare of the last owner

Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:46 am

if u want a gud day angling boat thats small and handy and able for the choopy weather there is no better boat out there than the new redbay fastfisher.it comes in 19 and 21 feet.boat anglers magazine classed it as the perfect angling machine.they can be expensive thou and are based in antrim

Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:56 am

smiliejp wrote:hi ive the 18ft dory its something similar.its very steady in rough weather and do a nice speed with a 40 hp.its probably a little wider than that one in d youtube video.the avocet looks ok but check out the width its be grand for 3.how much are they looking for the boat on its own.allow for the ferry over n back its not cheap with a trailer, get jr to put it on the ferry it will save you plenty and you only have to pock it up in ferry depot that what i did in rosslare of the last owner

Thanks for the tip with the ferry , thats worth thinking about. They charge 3,500 Pound for the boat waterready without engine. It's advertised at Apolloduck . It's 1,80m wide.
I know , that there are nice other boats as well , but my budget is somewhat limited.
So this one seem good bargain and good quality as well.
Cheers Werner

Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:29 am

if your looking for very sturdy just make sure its has the tri hull type design its like three litttle v hulls its will be on most dorys ,wilsons even on a side drift the boat wont be all over the place.good luck let me know what ya get,a good engine is key aswell,also mount a spare engine 3-4 hp will get ya to safety if main engine fails.was that price including a roller trailer.

Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:58 am

Hi FP26,

I am the same as you and have being doing alot of research before buying a boat. Have a look at a Sea Swift 500 look a nice sea going boat. Just a thought! Best of luck with what you buy.

T

Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:24 pm

TomCat wrote:Hi FP26,

I am the same as you and have being doing alot of research before buying a boat. Have a look at a Sea Swift 500 look a nice sea going boat. Just a thought! Best of luck with what you buy.

T

Yes , I had a look at Sea Swift , but they are much more expensive .
The Avocet has a cathedral hull as well , and is longer. The price is without trailer.
I heard that you need bigger engines with the cathedral hull boats compared to normal ones.
My boat now is a Uttern 5,20m . It's a halfplainer and with my Honda 20 fourstroke it runs 15kn .
Cheers Werner

Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:08 pm

hey,the cathedral hull boats are a really safe and sturdy boat-ive a wilson 17 running on a 40 hp yamaha and its a super little boat,it has more deck space than a lot of similiar size boats and is extremely stable,even with 3/4 adults standin on one side-you might be right about the engine sizes for this type of boat-i feel a 60hp wud be a better option,its fine with two people but is much slower to get on the plane with another person or two,

Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:27 pm

mully wrote:hey,the cathedral hull boats are a really safe and sturdy boat-ive a wilson 17 running on a 40 hp yamaha and its a super little boat,it has more deck space than a lot of similiar size boats and is extremely stable,even with 3/4 adults standin on one side-you might be right about the engine sizes for this type of boat-i feel a 60hp wud be a better option,its fine with two people but is much slower to get on the plane with another person or two,

Does anybody know the difference between Shetland Alaska boats or Seahog Alaska ? Seems the same , but I'm not shure . They look good and have plenty of freeboard .
Cheers Werner

Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:19 pm

flowerpower26 wrote:
mully wrote:hey,the cathedral hull boats are a really safe and sturdy boat-ive a wilson 17 running on a 40 hp yamaha and its a super little boat,it has more deck space than a lot of similiar size boats and is extremely stable,even with 3/4 adults standin on one side-you might be right about the engine sizes for this type of boat-i feel a 60hp wud be a better option,its fine with two people but is much slower to get on the plane with another person or two,

Does anybody know the difference between Shetland Alaska boats or Seahog Alaska ? Seems the same , but I'm not shure . They look good and have plenty of freeboard .
Cheers Werner

Shetland made the Alaska boats for years, and they sold the moulds to Seahog a few years ago.
There is also a couple of small boat makers with copies of the moulds who make these boats.

Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:10 am

Hi there ,
Did anybody come a cross Seastrike Aluminium Boats . They look good , are fairly light what should mean small engine needed . But how will they perform on sea and what about corrosion ?
Any ideas ?
Werner

Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:57 pm

Today I bought my boat , a seastrike semi v 16 aluminium boat , with 25 fourstroke Yamaha ,
and brandnew trailer. It's in UK at present and I'm going to get it over in spring next year.
So I'm quite happy with that and hope it's the right thing for me.
Fotos to follow later on.
Cheers Werner

Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:37 am

best of Luck with your new seastrike,

great boat!