Suzuki 70hp

Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:51 pm

Hi Guys

I have a Suzuki 70hp, it makes a grinding noise when I put it in gear, more so in reverse
any ideas??

joeduke

Re: Suzuki 70hp

Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:56 pm

As the gears are quite coarse they will always make a grinding noise as they "gate" but the viscosity of the gear oil should slow down and cushion the meshing . If the seals have perished and the oil has been substituted/diluted by water you could have the classic Suzuki problem of gearbox trouble.
I recommend draining the gear oil as soon as possible and watch out for the following.
1. Gear oil grey= Water contamination
2.Gear oil clear = good
3.Gear oil black = incorrect oil used
4.Gear oil black and stinks = propeller pitch wrong and engine over revving thus cooking the gear oil.
5.Gear oil missing = Deep s*** (joking)
Always make sure you clean the magnetic bung at the bottom of the leg and replace the fibre washer.
Hope this is of some assistance.

Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:07 am

The engine only has 30hours on it

Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:32 pm

its prob just the gears my suzi 65hp sounds like that too and so does the merc on my strikeliner, has for years

Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:02 am

might need to be tuned down a bit on tick over. if the engine is running a little bit faster you will get crunching while changing gear if you have any doubts about the engine bring it to the dealer he should put your mind at rest.

Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:58 am

joeduke wrote:The engine only has 30hours on it

Then it`s more than likely as Twinkle suggested. The idle may be a bit high.
Has it had the run-in gear oil changed ?

Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:48 am

Most engines will crunch into gear especially reverse. Try and wait till the engine has idled right down till you change gear. As above id be cheching the idle level and have a look at the gear oil.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:47 am

Daithim wrote:Most engines will crunch into gear especially reverse. Try and wait till the engine has idled right down till you change gear. As above id be cheching the idle level and have a look at the gear oil.

sounds about right to me too
mick