Alaska 500

Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:49 pm

I've just bought an Alaska 500. Smashing little boat, which is supposed to be self draining while underway. The only draining port I've found is directly below the engine mounting and almost certainly below the waterline. This has a screwed plug fitted which I am reluctant to remove.
Any advice, anyone?? :?:

Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:43 pm

Alaska are the same as Seahog, aren't they? If all else fails, drop them a line, I'm sure they'd be happy to advise.

http://www.seahog.co.uk/Contact.htm

:idea:

Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:50 pm

DO NOT GO TO SEA WITH THIS PLUG REMOVED!!!!!! if you do you will sink! this plug is to allow the boat to drain (rain water) while trailered, while at sea there SHOULD be no build up of water if there is you have a problem. if you are keeping the boat on a mooring you will need a bilge pump an electric one is about £15 + wiring and hose - see if you can get hose off an old washing machine. a manual pump is a bit more expensive but you dont need wiring.

Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:01 pm

Hi jimbo

I have a alaska 500 xl [2004] only slightly different i think, they dont as far i know they dont have self draining decks, mine dosent anyhow.
i have a bilge pump fitted to a switch on the console that is in a sump under the rear seats, where the fuel is stored. it has the outlet on the transom just above the waterline. you can see in the picture on the right hand side of the transom half way up.
the screw hole your referring to is the drain plug as was said.
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/terrymeegan/seabreezeback.jpg[/img]

Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:55 pm

Many thanks, everybody.

Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:08 pm

Terry, your Alaska appears to be a fine example of the craft. As a fellow Alaska owner I would be interested in finding out how the boat handles and what top speed you are achieving with the 70hp on the transom? My boat has a 60hp mariner bigfoot, and with the current prop I am able to achieve 25 knots with two people aboard, though I still find myself being left behind by my mate's warrior.

Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:53 am

Hi Fishmagnet

I get a little over 30 knots at full pelt with 3 on board but she cruises at 25kts and is most econimical at this speed.
The four stroke makes a big difference on fuel consumption especially as the boat is heavy about 550kg [boat only]
She handles a choppy sea great and is very stable turning at speed and at anchor and is a very dry ride.
mine is the XL version kind of a limited edition model i think.

Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:30 pm

Thanks for the info Terry, I find mine to be a safe stable fishing platform too, yeah the the XL seems good package, good luck with her.
Regards
Mark