Battery connection

Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:21 am

Hi all,

Have a honda 30 4 stroke with power tilt and trim, for security reasons have to lock the battery away when not in use. The batt is not a marine but a deep cycle just bought this season it has loads of power and life in it as ive tested it a good few times.

My problem is that when i go to connect it I never seem to get a good enough connection to start the engine, after tightening the bolts and a lot of playing around i get a good connection and she starts no prob. The rerminals dont seem too bad obviously it gets splashed by salt water.

Any magic trick to a good batt connection or way around this? was gonna sand the terminals maybe to see if this has any effect.

Re: Battery connection

Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:01 am

Big Dave wrote:Hi all,

Have a honda 30 4 stroke with power tilt and trim, for security reasons have to lock the battery away when not in use. The batt is not a marine but a deep cycle just bought this season it has loads of power and life in it as ive tested it a good few times.

My problem is that when i go to connect it I never seem to get a good enough connection to start the engine, after tightening the bolts and a lot of playing around i get a good connection and she starts no prob. The rerminals dont seem too bad obviously it gets splashed by salt water.

Any magic trick to a good batt connection or way around this? was gonna sand the terminals maybe to see if this has any effect.
give the terminals a light sanding and also the inside of the connector then give everything a rub of Vaseline

Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:07 am

Cheers will give that a go.

Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:18 pm

i recently had exactly the same problem . and whats happening is the terminals are been exposed to the elements when its disconnected and an oxide is forming on the connections and the battery poles. and you have to be care ful as the battery will not be getting full charge off the altenator.and you can end up caught out with a dead battery.
i was lucky i always bring a spare.as what was said above. clean them with sandpaper and a wipe of vasoline.

Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:04 am

worked a treat thanks guys