engine trouble - again

Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:07 am

Hi lads,
as many know I got into trouble the other day out in Galway Bay....
All day long from launch, at Ballyvaughan, everything was fine, out to the light-house, back into Black Rock, over to Finavarra Martello & the 2nd Martello Tower - until i stopped about 1.5 miles off turning into the New Quay channel/Aughinish.

After some more fishing I restarted the engine (pull start), she started fine, first or second pull, with the throttle open, when I closed the throttle to put into gear the engine died.

This went on for about 10 minutes then I called in the PAN PAN

The obvious problems are: A) Carbs - they were cleaned by a very reputable outboard mechanic last month
B) Fuel - same tank I was using all day

Two weeks ago all was fine going from Tarbert to Kilbaha

Thanks for any tips/solutions/ideas

Cormac

Re: engine trouble - again

Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:48 pm

strange...... just fired her up in the driveway in the bin, first time as usual but throttle closed adn she went into gear no bother, might head out to Lough Derg and see

Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:59 pm

Maybe you could alter the idle speed a little. The carb clean out coul dhave effected the rate of fuel delivery. Try up it a little first and rule out all the obvious too ... blocked filter, pump or fuel leak.

Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:17 pm

Hello Cormac. I had an experience like that a few years back. Engine ran fine for 2 hours then cut out on the way home. Turned out to be water in the fuel, so I'd check out your filters before doing anything else. If you have an external water separator filter - a big yoke with a glass bowl at the bottom usually mounted on the transom - drain it and change the element. If not, fit one, you'll get one in any factor that deals with tractor parts etc. There will also be a small filter inside the engine, change that. Change your fuel too. If that doesnt work, back to the mechanic.

Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:18 pm

Fired her up in the driveway today - not a bother closing throttle and going into gear so I hit Lough Derg:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cAGOzcZrlBo

My best guess is that a shower of rain earlier on in the day was the culprit abd whatever water was there evaporated - tank is used up anyway