Newbie to forum

Sat May 08, 2010 6:06 pm

Hi All Fount this web link on the UK forum I'm on so thought I would join a local forum & introduce myself , so here goes>>
Located in the sunny south east ( Waterford) :D :)
I have got myself a project rig consisting of Mayland fisher16 with a Evinrude 25 on board this is a full-on refurbish so I will probably be pestering every one for advice and tips on boat ,outboard , trailer & all the on board toys required these days!!!
I will post up some pics once I get the hang of this forum, so for now
Cheers for now
George M

Re: Newbie to forum

Sat May 08, 2010 8:31 pm

welcome mate... you are in the best place for help advise.... hope you find what you are looking for........

Sat May 08, 2010 9:19 pm

Hullo!

Sat May 08, 2010 11:19 pm

Thanks all for the welkome ( :lol: :lol: :) :D
I see that the Tarr will be pulled out of me when I seriously start begging for help ( advice contacts etc. ) looking forward to some interesting debates :idea: :!: about my project :oops:
Right 1st request >> My O.B. ( its been lying idle for 2 years )1971 25hp Evinrude requires throttle & gear controls & cables plus new stearing gear.
"Q" best & cheapest place to purchase......? Any thoughts... don't all rush at once now !!!.
I have a looong shoping list but, her indoors says only my pocket money to be used on this project. :( :roll:
Cheers for now.
George M

Sat May 08, 2010 11:33 pm

depends on where you are based George, but you could give Derek in DDM a shout, apparently a very helpful lad and highly regarded here on the forum, check this thread here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=20923 for contact details and don't forget to mention you've been made aware of their shop through the SAI forum and they surely will look after you. Good luck!

Sat May 08, 2010 11:49 pm

PaPaSmurf wrote:Thanks all for the welkome ( :lol: :lol: :) :D
I have a looong shoping list but, her indoors says only my pocket money to be used on this project. :( :roll:
Cheers for now.
George M

You get pocket money :shock: , how would I go about asking for that :oops: :oops:

Sat May 08, 2010 11:54 pm

Walk the dog do lots of dishies :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sun May 09, 2010 12:41 am

OK gona try this pic's thingy :oops:
Got here home so here goes some pics at the start of the project>> Ok so fist time using this format. hope it works>> Klick on link >> http://img521.imageshack.us/slideshow/p ... 34vcn.smil

Well time for some ZZZZ's
Cheers all
George M

Tue May 11, 2010 10:42 am

Hi,

Nice looking project!

I'm just coming to the end of a similar project myself. One thing I'd suggest while you are in the strip down phase is to give the transom a real good inspection and don't be afraid to replace it if you need to. Fibreglass will be your friend for the next few weeks. :)
May I suggest Larch for the rub rails? Its super flexible and you can bend it around your boat without the need for steam or Kerf-cuts! Costs about 2Euro for a 12ft strip :) Looks savage!

Edit: Actually I took off an old remote control throttle and gear from my boat. My mechanic tells me they are for an Evinrude and it ain't compatable with my Yamaha. The steering control is so that stayed. I haven't decided what to do about it all yet, I was gonna wait till next year and maybe try to adapt it to my engine or get some Yamaha controls. On ebay the evinrude systems are cheap enough, the yamaha ones are pricey. I'd rather keep mine but let me know if you are reall stuck.

Tue May 11, 2010 1:41 pm

i got a universal control from marine parts direct i think it was 40 euro worked brilliant. trottle and gears on seperate levers

Tue May 11, 2010 4:51 pm

Hi All 8) :) :)
Donnyboy1........ You are a Starr :D where did you get the timber from??? I'm busy trawling the web for material, drop me a note on who supplied it, If you don't use the remotes give me a call probably take them from you.
Got the o.b. off the boat & busy cleaning & quick service before testing it a drum :lol:
You will see in the slide show that both rear ends have been cut back & reenforced the original transom has also been beefed up at some point :!:
Twinkle... That sounds like a good price thanks for the heads up :P I will be after one just shortly as soon as I get my pocket money from the BOSS :roll:
I told myselve when I joined this forum that there is GOOD :D :D info to be had if you ask the right question.
Lads thanks for the help, might see you some time when I get here finished, will post some more pic soon..
Cheers for now
George M

Tue May 11, 2010 5:44 pm

Well I'm from Cork but I was suggested Trihy sawmills (http://www.trihysheds.ie/) outside dungarven so not that far I guess. They deliver for 6Euro ;)
Now they will rough cut ends off planks to suit, and I mean rough but I tidyied up 12ft of the wood in about 2minutes with an electric planer. Took off 2mm on all sides. My boat is 18ft and I got 60ft of Larch (5 strips) and I picked the best lengths (least knots which are a balls during bending!
I then gave a 45degree plane to take off the corners and sanded smooth. Total prep for wood was about 45 minutes.
I then used trailer harness's and a few clamps to bend the wood in place and a added a nice miter joint at 45degrees to join any wood (a tip here is to have 3 18+Volt cordless drills set up - one with drill bit to guide hole through wood and larch, one with counter sunk and one with screw bit). One of my strips cracked at a knot at around 10.5ft (on the final screw no less) and I just cut that back 6 inches and continued as normal.
Bending and screwing took about 1 hour, but I tend to go a bit slower and make sure everything is perfect :)
While I was at the sawmills I got slightly wider and thinner Larch and made nice handrails out of that also… same price bout 2/3 Euro for 12ft so I got 48ft :) again, it needs a plane to tidy it up and any cheap electric planer will do. I borrowed my dads he got in Bandq for 17Euro.

If you can get remotes for 40 new take em. The yamaha remotes I need cost about 300Euro - hence why I may try to build it myself. I'll get the boat in the water in a week or two and check it out.

The beefed up transom was similar on my boat also, the front and back of the transom was reinforced, but like yours bolts were used this allows the water to seep in and rot the wood from the inside. Some places recommend epoxying any support wood to the transom directly or simply reinforcing it with more fiberglass, as opposed to bolts or screws.

The danger is not only a weak transom but that the rot will spread to the hull and rot the stringers which is a much worse job to fix!

I took out my bolts and removed the supports and saw bad delamination on the inside of my transom. If I pushed my transom water came out the bolt holes (and the boat had been out of the water for over a year so this was pure rainwater. I cut away the rotten glass (and caught a nasty wiff of rott!), drilled drain holes, and scraped away some of the rotten wood. To my surprise there was very little rotten wood. It seemed I could repair rather than replace the wood. I let the transom dry out for 2/3 weeks and for 2/3 days before the big repair I was drying it with a hairdryer daily. Finally I re-glassed it all up and now it is stronger than ever and I doubt I will need the supports - as the boat was originally intended and designed for use without them.

Anyway, you can't tell over the internet what needs doing, but if your sure the transom is ok thats a huge chunk of work off the restoration :)

Tue May 11, 2010 7:49 pm

Hi
Twinkle> :P went onto the web page could not find controls will phone the tmorrow, thanks :P
Dannyboy1> will get some prices on the sizes I'm looking for & get down to them over the next week or 2
Again lads Thanks :) :D :D
George M

Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:37 pm

Hi all :D :P 8)
Well got the larch for the strakes, found a sawmill other side of Kill so busy cutting to size ready to varnish, Pre drilled all length's so should make the job easier. Also got some new perspex today to replace all the windows that will be done early next week, just a few holes to drill :roll: :roll: this ain't easy !!!! on your own to do. :( :o
O.B. stripped & serviced runs sweeet. new coat of paint & will look brand new with new decals on. still need to find remote controls for said OB. I will post some pics when jobs complete, must say she is looking good for an old lady.....
P.S. big thanks to all for the info posted on this topic
Cheers for now.
George M