Contacting the coastguard/lifeboat

Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:54 pm

Hi
Has anyone experience of contacting the coastguard/lifeboat from a small boat to request assistance
What is the correct procedure/channel to use etc
Hope I never need this, but there I am a little confused, after reading my vhf guide
Kev

Re: Contacting the coastguard/lifeboat

Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:20 pm

bigkev wrote:Hi
Has anyone experience of contacting the coastguard/lifeboat from a small boat to request assistance
What is the correct procedure/channel to use etc
Hope I never need this, but there I am a little confused,
after reading my vhf guide
Kev

call them (coast guard) on channel 16 and give the
following information

- your Location
- size of your vessel
- Type of vessel
- How many people are on board
- what safety equipment you have ie life jackets, flares etc
- Nature of assistance required
- weather on scene

they'll probably ask you for all of that anyway, but after contacting them on channel 16 they'll move you to a working channel.

hope this helps

Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:53 pm

Kev,
Lets hope you never need this info!
As the voice of experience in this regard, the system is straight forward!
If you are in difficulty but not in trouble, contact your local coastguard radio on either 16 or their working channel (cork 26). Using the working channel is more discreet but not much! Obviously if you're in deep s**t you will use a Pan Pan or a Mayday. Ensure you have your position on the gps screen before you call. Also have your call sign at hand (if you have one). They will ask some questions about the vessel and about the numbers on board etc. They will inform you that the life boat is underway. The lifeboat will contact you on 16 as they near.

Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:56 am

Can any VHF call them on channel 16, or do you need to be registered, If you are not registered does the DSC/Pan Pan work?

Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:11 am

ooops! :oops:
Last edited by nevilleskibb on Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:18 am

Hi Kev,
As I work in this area I would advise you to contact the Coast Guard on channel 16 for all communications, the reason is that everybody nearby can hear too and can assist if you are in trouble and might get there quicker than a lifeboat or helicopter, if the coast guard want you on a working channel they will tell you which one because they vary depending on what part of the country your in.
It is a requirement, believe it or not, to have at least a restricted radio ticket and call sign, to have and use a radio on your boat. This is not really in-forced at the moment but I think it will become regulation in the future.
To get the basics you can buy RYA booklets in most marine chandlery or call into your nearest lifeboat station. If you want to follow up the radio ticket side of things you can ring 01-6782000 and ask for the Radio Surveyors, they will tell you all you need to know.
Don't quot me but i think it only cost's around 3 or 4 euro for the ticket.

I think this is worth following up because it can only help you when you really need it!
Hope this was a help,
Neville.

Hope you don't have to use it!

Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:40 am

Just found a good web site with all the information you will need. this is the offical stuff.

http://www.dcmnr.gov.ie/Marine/Maritime ... ers+Guide/

There is a goog download at the end of the page.
Neville

Coastguard

Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:42 pm

Many thanks for the informative replies
Hopefully, never needed , but better to be prepared than sorry
Kev