Any antifouling tips or tricks?

Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:02 am

I have an 18ft boat sitting on a trailer that needs antifouling.
The problem I am facing is the rollers on the trailer are in the way. The only solution I can come up with is to paint around the rollers and when dry push the boat back a foot or so and paint the rest.
Anybody got any better ideas?

Thank you

Andrew.

Re: Any antifouling tips or tricks?

Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:18 am

your spot on, just make sure it has dryed before pushing it to finish the missed spots :wink:

Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:25 am

i jack up both ends off the trailer about a foot. put a piece of timber under each side of the boat to hold her steady and this gives me plenty of room to clean and paint the hull

Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:08 pm

Thanks for the replies lads.
Got out today and got the first coat on.
Just gotta push the boat up and down the trailer to get the job done.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:57 pm

The small amount that you miss is unimportant. Most growth occurs where the light penetrates the water and so most growth occurs at the edge of the boat. I paint right up to the edge of the rollers. The bit that is not anti-fouled has very little growth.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:32 pm

Thanks Stan. That makes sense, also makes the job that little bit easier.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:16 pm

my god thats so lazy. useing two pieces of timber on each side jack up the boat. and prop up each side you only need to lift it a foot to get a roller in on the hull. weed will grow and will slow you down in the water

Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:59 pm

Well after getting under the boat and painting around the rollers I decided that i'd have to paint the missed patches. It's the first antifoulling so I figured I'd do it right.

So far I've only got the primer done. Was trying to get it all done by Wednesday. It's not looking too good at the moment.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:32 pm

Just as a matter of curiosity can anyone tell me roughly what it would cost to get a professional antifoulling job done on an 18ft boat. It's approximately 10sq metres.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:31 am

you dont want to know but an arm and a leg springs to mind. you only need to lift the boat about a foot off the trailer
if the trailer is to low to get under ,jack it up and put blocks under it.i gave mine which is 22 ft a coat in less than an hour
once you can get at the hull easily

Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:37 pm

Cheers Twinkle.
I will be finishing the job myself. I'm just curious as to how much it would cost to get it done.
Maybe I'm trying to convince myself that I'm saving money.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:00 pm

Anti-fouling paint has come down in price. You should buy a large tin as it is more economical in the long run. Paint that remains can be used the following year. The 750ml tin should give it 1 coat and costs about €43. The big tin which is probably 2.5lt costs about €110 ( I think) and so you would get 4 coats out of it. If not already primed you will also have to buy a tin of primer. I find the navy anti-fouling the best by far and use the International brand.

There are cheap brands on the market but I am not sure how good they are. Somebody on the site may know of cheaper options.

You will anti-foul the boat in less than an hour

Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:01 am

you are saving money andrew i got a price last year to clean, prime, and anti foul the hull 800 euros plus vat if i wanted to use copper coat 2800 that was last november

Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:56 pm

Thanks for the info lads.
I went for the EU45 antifouling. I got 2.5lts of antifouling and 2.5lts of primer delivered to the door with a total cost of €104.
All reports I have found about this brand seem to be good. The proof will be next October when I haul her out.
As for €800 for the job to be done for me, I think I saved myself €700 to spend on tackle and extra trips out. :-}

Sun May 16, 2010 7:27 pm

I am paying €450, including all materials and VAT, for antifouling on my Warrior 175.

As this is the first time it's being antifouled I figured I'd get a professional job done. I reckon it's pretty good value for money as it includes an initial etch (to provide a key), then priming and antifouling.

I'll probably do it myself next year on the trailer, since all I'll need to do is give it a bit of a sanding and apply a coat or two of antifoul, but it just seemed like too much hassle this year!