Anchor to suit Orkney Longliner

Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:03 am

Hi all,

Have recently invested in / treated myself to an Orkney Long liner that needed a little work. Work now done and all looks and is seaworthy - however i am on the hunt for a suitable anchor. She will be on permanent mooring but would be foolish to head off without an anchor! So any suggestions as to weight and type would be appreciated. I will be at sea on the west Donegal coast where the bed will be the same as the one that likes to relieve me of plenty of sinks every summer! Any Suggestions

Also invested in a 8HP 4 stroke Yamaha engine with the boat - needs servicing - any ideas where i can get a fuel filter or an alternative part number to the Yamaha genuine fuel filter - it needs replacing but the yahama dealer wants a nice 60 euro for the filter - an attempt i feel to make be bring the engine to him to service for ... only...100 euro! Again any sugestions.

Thanks alot - looking forward to getting a few days out this summer - will make a change from the rocks.

P

Re: Anchor to suit Orkney Longliner

Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:25 am

How are things and welcome , your bang on the most important piece of safety equipment after the life jacket is the anchor :wink: any sort of engine trouble sling your anchor :wink:
it really depends on the ground if it's sand you should get away with a 5kg bruce of danford anchor but you will also need at least 12ft of 8mm chain for it to work properly.
if your fish ing rough ground i would get a 4 pronged grapnell made up using 8mm mild steel rod and 25mm spine in local welders shop. any more questions fire away.
hope this helps.

Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:48 pm

John,
Will be over rough ground.
The grapnell made up from some mild steel - that will do the trick rightly. If its proven why invest in a fancy alternative! Might give the chain a miss on this one though, might it be a hindrance on a rough bottom for sticking? Thanks fo the tip

Paddy

Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:36 am

You might get away without a chain, but the performance will be better with a chain. Make sure you rig your anchor to “trip” out when stuck.

Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:49 am

Many lads anchor rough ground with a bruce style anchor rigged to trip. I do so myself. I'm always worried about loosing the anchor, but so far so good. Very foul ground might be best with a grapnel and mentioned. If you do a search on the forums here Jim has uploaded some pics in the past of exactly how trip setup works. You will need chain anchoring rough ground as it gives better grip to the anchor, but it will also stop a lot of fray on your rope.

Kev

Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:43 am

I'm late throwing my 2 cents in but last year I was in the same boat...forgive the pun. What I learned was to use 1 foot of chain per foot length of boat and have 1 lb of weight in the anchor for every foot of boat length. I went for a bruce/claw anchor which is a good general purpose anchor. Its also advisable to have a spare anchor and to save space i went for a folding grapnel.
Its worth wandering down the local pier to see what the inshore fishermen carry on their boats. I launch in various places so needed to hold in a variety of ground hence two differing anchors. Two anchors are also handy to temporarily moor the boat wading distance from shore; one anchor ashore and the other out the stern.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:28 pm

As has been said a 5kg bruce and 20ft 8mm chain will hold a longliner all day but make sure you rig the anchor to trip as for the parts if you search on line you should get them much cheaper than a dealer will charge.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:42 pm

You should be able to find the part number here - http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/parts/home.aspx

Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:39 pm

Hi to all,
I'm a new comer to the site but sea angling from my own boat for the last ten years.
What the other lads are saying is right two anchors and chain on the both of them is the only way to go.
We have a handy anchor for general fishing but for emergencies we have one half the weight again for any misshaps.
Don't forget if you break down near the rocks you cann't afford for your anchor to drag at all.
Also we don't fish the rocks at all if the wind is blown on to the rocks because you have so little time to put out an anchor if something does go wrong [lobster pot ropes, break downs etc.]
As for engine services red bay boats are one of the best around there beside cushindall in the north.