2stroke or 4stroke

Sat May 14, 2005 7:11 pm

im looking for an outboard 3-5hp for lough fishing.do i buy new or second hand engine,what make and does it matter if its 2 or 4stroke in saltwater.any help please

Sat May 14, 2005 7:42 pm

lough? strangford? either a two stroke or four stroke will do your job a two stroke will be a cheaper buy but a four stroke will be cheaper to run but at this size of engine it will not matter too much but in a bigger engine the difference can be a lot.

2 stroke or 4 stroke

Sat May 14, 2005 9:13 pm

Important
If the engine is going to be regularly transported(ie in the boot of a car etc) 4 strokes do not like being put down on their sides, as the oil from the reservoir can flood the engine and the bugger wont start. 2 strokes are more forgiving, and dont suffer this.
However, 4 strokes are far more quiet and economical
Kev

Mon May 16, 2005 2:21 pm

4 stroke is easier to start (Long steady pull as opposed to short quick pulls for 2 stroke) but as big kev points out 2 stroke have some advantages. 2 stroke nowadays seem easier to start than they were in the past, but a 2 stroke which is hard started will break your heart (And pull your arm out of it's socket). As you probably know you also have to mix oil with the petrol for 2 stroke which leaves it a bit more inconvenient.

Tue May 17, 2005 1:50 pm

I heard that 2 strokes were no longer being produced for environmental reasons. Is there any truth in that?

Donal.

Fri May 20, 2005 10:15 am

I doubt it, chain saws, con saws, hedge trimmers etc are all 2 stroke and have to be due to method of use and weight. I bought a new con saw last year and it's 2 stroke.

Actually, a company in East Germany were producing a plastic car (Trabant I think it was called) with a 2-stroke engine before the wall came down, I think they are banned from use in cars and suchlike now though.

Fri May 20, 2005 12:31 pm

LARGE two strokes are going out of production soon - good thing too thirsty bu**ers they are! but i think that the "second generation" (optimax/ficht) two strokes will hang on.