Chart reading help - Dingle Bay

Fri May 13, 2005 11:49 pm

Does anyone have any experience of fishing in Dingle bay? we have fished 'Crow Rock' area just out of Dingle and are looking to venture a bit further out, i was looking at an area called 'Wild Bank' the name does not sound to good i know, but it looks like it may be interesting looking at the chart, can anyone help as to what the symbols on the chart mean where the question mark is?
Cheers Sean,

[img]http://homepage.eircom.net/~seanpalmer/DB1.jpg[/img]

re symbols

Sat May 14, 2005 12:38 am

hi sean how are things,,,,,just checked my admiralty symbols and addreviations book(a very handy item)and the symbols indicate areas of overfalls and tide races/rips which can be very dangerous especialy in big tides,,,after all this under water reef rises from around 37m to 10m forcing the water up and over resulting in the rips,,,on a small tide and calm conds it should be fishable but you may want to check with someone who knows first hand,,,but you know you are going to get good fish there,,,,pollack ,wrase,cod ,conger,ling,,,,etc,etc....we are trailing our boat down to brandon for the first week in aug and we hope to fish out of dingle for 1 or 2 days that is if we can tear ourselves away from brandon.......... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Sat May 14, 2005 3:29 pm

Phil, many thanks for looking up the symbol for me, i had an idea thats what it was - just not certain (tight git won't but a book! mind you €30/chart - they could put a key on!) yeh like you say on a small tide it could be well worth a go, shall make some more enquiries, will let you know if we go out before you come down. I gave you the wrong code for the barrier at Dingle as well, we were out earlier this week for the first time this year and i noticed a wrong number (scratched in keyfob!) it's 2828, did you see the article in last months Sea angler mag on the Tope fishing between Inch and Rossbeigh point? shall be giving that a try shortly as well, good look with the trip to Brandon, and thanks again, Sean

Sun May 15, 2005 11:32 pm

Just found some other info on this site that may be of interest, [url]http://www.divedingle.com/Dive%20sites.htm[/url]

Wed May 25, 2005 10:19 am

Gents,
with 100's of different symbols used on charts the Admiralty couldn't put a key on each chart but they did make up a 'key' book. Its called Admiralty chart BA5011 "Symbols and abbreviations used on admiralty charts"- this little book is very handy and covers all the symbols that are used on admiralty navigation charts (About 75 pages). Covers both the underwater symbols such as the letters for the seabed composition, sand shingle, shell etc and the symbols on the coast and land such as marinas. All in all very usefull and it will allow you to find out loads more info from your chart than you would usually get. Its not expensive and is available from all chart suppliers.
If your fishing very far afield the American hydrographic office also produce a similar book as of course their symbols are a bit different!
Tight lines