Where to launch a boat

Tue May 03, 2005 1:33 pm

Where can you launch a boat, particularly in North County Dublin?
The slipway in Malahide seems to be very awkward to get at, as well as appearing to be useless at low tide. It's a 14' boat. I'm not what you would call, by any stretch of the imagination, an expert at reversing a trailer either!

slip-ways

Tue May 03, 2005 1:49 pm

Hi Garry

There is a small boat slipway in Howth Harbour, in the middle of it next to the yacht club, or at least there was once, many years ago! I launched off it once and proceeded to hole the outer skin on a sunken wooden boat that some *(£$& had let sink... having conveniently left the brass rollocks in...

After that I launched from the hard sand in Skerries and found it better - great fishing on a reef halfway out to Lambay island and on calm weather there are some good coves / rocks there, well in range of a 14 footer.

FWIW...

Tue May 03, 2005 2:10 pm

Has Malahide not got two slipways?
One right by the marina and the other, further around?
I could be wrong.

Boat launch

Tue May 03, 2005 7:44 pm

Rogerstown if you can get access through the yacht club. Rush and Loughshinny by the harbours from the beach. Skerries has two launch sites, one nect to the lifeboat house and the other opposite the yacht club Only one slip at Malahide, dodgy one as well.

Dublin slipways

Tue May 03, 2005 7:48 pm

Garry

North Dublin slipways in my own order of merit:
The slipway in Howth has to be one of the best in the Greater Dublin area, there's always water even at low tide, the only trouble is that this can lead to a traffic jam on the slipway at times (Saturday, Sundays & Bank Holidays). It can take at least 3 abreast but normally 2 will launch or recover at a time.
Next has to be Skerries beside the Lifeboat station, only trouble here is you need to be at least one and a half hours either side of low water unless you want to launch from the sand.
Rush harbour is another place but this is the opposite of the rest, you need to launch after of before low water. You drive down onto the hard sand when the tide is out (there's a narrow, walled drive down onto the beach just after the park) and launch from the centre of the bay.
South Dublin/Wicklow areas in order of merit:
Greystones, good slipway, good fishing nice area, what more!
Bray, same general area as Greystones but suffers at low water when the tide leaves the harbour, there's also a sand bank at the entrance to the harbour to look out for, otherwise a beautiful place to fish from.
Dun Laoghaire, nice slipway but nowhere to park you car or trailer without paying hefty car-park fees.
Poolbeg slipway (beside the toll bridge), the makings of a great slipway but sadly due to lack of use and lack of space can be a handful now. The slipway at anything less than an hour and a half after high water can be deadly slippy. The only way to launch is with a strong rope connected to the trailer and tow vehicle. This slipway has also become more of a nightmare due to the dumping of a sunken trawler on the lower half of the slip (has this been done on purpose to keep us away???).
Hope this fills you in somewhat. If you need any more info on these areas give me a shout.
Damien

Wed May 04, 2005 8:15 am

Thanks for the information everyone.
Hopefully I'll get to try one out over the weekend.